• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Steering column help

BigFlo

Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
I’m converting my 3 spd on the column to a floor shift. I removed the steering shaft and upper housing from the 3 spd column. I’m trying to assemble that to a non-3spd column/tube that I purchased.
Does the top housing attach to the column/tube? Either I’m missing some parts or the column tube is only held in place by the bracket in the dash. That doesn’t seem quite right.
FSM does not show steering columns.

88BC9E7C-5D17-4BD8-B98A-FB7A622AFA77.jpeg

There are 2 square nuts (I have no other way to explain them) that are tapered. They fit in the square cutouts in the tube that wedge when tightened to the upper column.
that holds the two together. Quite often go missing.

Darter - thank you!! The 3 spd housing is not held in the same way. I had those square head screws you mentioned and assembled it tonight. Worked great.
Thanks

I’ve got my steering column assembled and am mounting it into the box/firewall/ dash. I can’t get the mounting plate lined up with the firewall holes.
Quick summary- I am converting my /6 3spd on the column, to a 383 floor shift. I converted my 3spd column to non 3spd by taking my original shaft out and installing it into a different (non 3spd) tube. I’m reusing the original manual steering box. All of the parts are original except for two.
The non 3spd steering tube and the big block k-frame.
Does the big block k-frame locate the steering box in a different place?

DED35337-FD95-43A0-B037-DB2EF9A953B6.jpeg

588F2EED-E870-4CA2-8ED5-A641F81C1BD2.jpeg

Looks like you need to put the pedal assembly in first.?

I should have mentioned- I just want to put the steering column in temporarily so I can turn the wheels to move the car around. But if I can’t get this aligned now, I can’t see how the pedal assembly will help?

Your trying to make it temporarily turnable by just having the splash shield hold the entire column at the bottom?
You need to bolt the top of the column to something.

I have the top of the column bolted into the dash bracket. Plus I just added the two support posts that bolt to the bottom side of the cowl and still misaligned.
When I attach the seal to the bottom of the column - the one that centers the shaft in the steering column, it gets even worse.

E29C9B3E-AEC6-4218-800D-33C9C86FE200.jpeg

I bought it years ago so I don’t exactly remember what year but it is a bigblock kframe. I believe it is a ‘65.
I will try to get the number from it, next time I can get under it.

I've never swapped in a newer 68-70 K member into a 65...Some have done it over the years to move the engine back...

I didn't know if maybe the steering box location was different...

The big and small block K frames for 63-65 are the same as far as fitment goes from my experience...

Auto Transport Service
Back