• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66' Belvedere automatic column shift cables

MoparDana

Local time
9:59 AM
Reaction score
So, I have owned about 15 66'-67' Belvederes and Satellites. I presently own a 66' Belvedere II that is a column shift. When I started to try and crank the car for the first time after owning it for a year and a half, I noticed the starter seemed to drag a little so I decided to change it out. As I was doing so I noticed it has shifter cables instead of linkage like my 67' Belvedere II column shift car. I do have a 66' Satellite convertible with an automatic floor shift as well. I have owned at least 2 other 66's with column shifters but, never "noticed" a cable shift set up. So my question is, how common is this? I may seem like I don't know much about these cars but this is the first time I have ever run across this and, there may be information on internet but I am yet to find it. I have been dealing with these cars since I was 16 and I am now 53. I also noticed the transmission itself is somewhat different than any I have ever had. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance!

I don't think you have a 66 transmission in that car. More like a 65 cable shift would be my guess.

Got a picture of that cable? Not doubting that the cable is there. But have never seen that arrangement in a 66 either.

I hear a 65 column can be swapped into a 66 and they do look the same on the top end.

Yes the 65 was all cable shift and it was gone for 66 model year.

is this a Canadian car by any chance?

You would also have to have the odd shaped hole in the firewall for the steering column and cable shift mechanism. Does it look factory?

Just a thought, Maybe a very early 66. Chrysler sometimes used up parts during model years change over.
Though doubtful, I always say "Never say never when it comes to Ma Mopar"
Most likely someone swapped it out.

I don't think you have a 66 transmission in that car. More like a 65 cable shift would be my guess.
I thought about that, the column looks like someone was attempting to remove it. Could be they hadn't finished installing it though. Under the car all looks original, even the starter looks like it's never been changed. The column has two cables for the shifter... It is the right color to match interior but that could have been a luck.

I hear a 65 column can be swapped into a 66 and they do look the same on the top end.

Yes the 65 was all cable shift and it was gone for 66 model year.

is this a Canadian car by any chance?
Not at all sure. I thought the cable shift was on push button trannys and stopped in 65' as well. Will post some pics tomorrow.

At closer inspection tonight I think I may agree. The color of the column looks like the color blue I have seen on many 65' and earlier mopars. I will check tomorrow to see what year the engine was cast in. I wonder if someone pulled an engine with trans still bolted up from a 65' and dropped the entire unit in the 66'. And then tried to swap in the steering column to make it work. I have very little knowledge of pre 66's.

2 Cables, I will post some pics tomorrow.
IMG_1062.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back