• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 brake system questions

spcedwards214

Local time
12:46 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone out there show me a good diagram for routing new brake lines on the ole 66 charger I got?

All I have right now is the original master cylinder, that's it.

So i'm going to assume I need a proportioning valve but I can't find anything that shows me how this setup looks so i have something to go by.

master cylinder to proportioning valve? Proportioning valve to front brakes split and same to rear?

Any help suffices, thanks.

Our cars did not come with a proportioning valve but a distribution block.

- - - Updated - - -

I got all of my tubes from inline tube. They fit well.

Thanks but i really need to know what and where the line goes from the bottom and front of master cylinder and where the proportioning valve should be and were the lines go from there. I know the rear is split but i'm confused about everything that goes under the hood. Having trouble locating a decent proportioning valve that will work with the original single bowl MC. That would help a bunch. Thanks

Why don't you put a dual mc on it? I'm converting my 66 Coronet right now! It will be a lot simpler doing it now. Are you staying with drums, or putting disc on the front, Power or manual? You can get a brake valve after market for around $75.00 OEM style it makes it easy to hook every thing up! Fine lines has every thing you need to do the conversion! Other wise all you need is an original bv to hook up all the lines! One line in and 3 out,2 to the front and 1 to the rear no pv needed! Hope this helps!

I'm doing this for temporary till i man up and convert everything to disc with the booster and new MC. So you think I should just run one line down to a DB for the front brakes and one line to the back and another DB split to the rear? The car has drums all around and I'm just wanting some safety for when I move it around.

When I convert to the disc brakes and get the new MC will it have a 4 ports for 4 separate lines (one to each of the calipers)? If so, then where should I add my proportioning valve? I have general knowledge of brakes but never starting from scratch. Love your car by the way steve. Can't wait to get that far. This is my first and is a bit of a challenge. Got a 440 sitting and waiting for some benjamins to come its way as well. Going to get this 318 running and have brakes to make it movable, convert all the brakes, rims and tires, then body work and paint, then the beast 440. Started doing interior work at work to stay productive. lol Thanks for the advice in advance

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still just curious as to what is suppose to go to the front port of the original MC and bottom port of the original MC. Just for curiousity.

If you are plumbing the original MC you only have one line out to a distribution block with 4 ports. One line in from MC, three lines out, one to rear brakes, and one each to RF and LF.

I know this is redundant but bottom or front? Seen pictures with front having an adapter and some going from the bottom.

No sure why that matters for a temp fix. BTW, if you look down below the MC on the frame rail, you should see a hole with a nut welded inside the subframe (or a tapped hole), and a small unthreaded hole beside it, that is where the distribution block normally goes. There is a tab on the DB that is used for mounting there.

The 2 hole version of the MC may have the front hole threaded for an adapter for a brake pressure switch on some older cars. So check the hole you use to see if it is properly machined and threaded for a flared brake line fitting.

Inline Tube is a great source for info on this stuff.

Whne you convert to discs, you will have a 2 lines from the MC to the proportioning valve, which also serves as the distribution block. Normally, these include the front split within the prop valve assembly, and then 1 line runs to the rear as before to the DB block on the axle.

And, BTW, this is generic bake plumbing info for these cars; I don't own a '66. But they are pretty much all the same as far as I know.

Auto Transport Service
Back