• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Bucket Plastic Seat Backs

dart6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
I have some deep gouges on one seat back. Has anyone been able to repair these and also retain the texture?

66seatback.jpg

I’ve retextured them with SEM texture spray after flattening any dents, and skim filling deep scratches and divots with filler. You have to play around a little with the spray distance to get a correct texture size. And then with some sandpaper, lightly sand to flatten the pattern peaks off to resemble vinyl texturing. And then spray with the proper color vinyl paint. This photo I have handy doesn’t show detail very well but I can post a few more later if interested.

IMG_0457.jpeg

i also tried the sem first time and foundit to be hard to get consistent texture. So i went with PPG 2 part process withfar superior in my opinion results.

I have done 2 sets of 66/67 seat backs and between the two I did note some inconsistency in the SEM product. The first set of metallic red backs out of my 67 came out excellent in my opinion.

IMG_5299.jpeg
IMG_5300.jpeg

When I did the black ones out of my 66 a few years ago I didn’t think they came out quite as well, although good. Whether it was the SEM, my technique, difference in sanding/ flattening the grain or the difference in color coat (I used PPG custom mixed paint on the 66), I’m not sure.

IMG_5474.jpeg
IMG_5466.jpeg

But both look far better than the beaten up ones. I had a debate about doing the console in the 66 (I did retexture the 67 red one) as even though it wasn't beaten up, the grain pattern in it was so variable and inconsistent and washed out in areas that it looked like it should have been a manufacturing reject. But I ended up just giving it a fresh cover coat. I would give the PPG product a try but I’m probably not going to be doing a 3rd set of these.

First step is to media blast the backs which removes only the color and slightly feather edges the scares. Then you apply adhesion promoter. After that apply final body putty to fill the scars. which must be two part. Next is 2 coats of PPG DBC with hardener. Next add texture additive to the third coat of dbc and additional hardner. Allow 12 hours dry and set.. Now you apply matt finish clear ppg with three coats and use hardner in clear. Must use a 1.2- 1.4 nozzle. When applying the texture additive you measure using ten percent rule of 10 percent by rtp product measure in grams on scale. thats it then durable and long lasting. I have enough to divide up if anyone needs check out my listing for sale.

Lots of great posts thanks
Are they easy enough to remove? I can't tell as the car is in storage

The backs are easy to remove - just a couple screws at the bottom. The upper chrome piece comes of pretty easy, again a couple of small screws I think. The thin chrome pieces on the side are another matter. They lock into small deformed slots punched into the sheet metal back. There is definitely a trick to getting them off without damage. I masked them off on my red 67 but removed them on the black 66 to have everything plated. It was definitely the hardest part of the work on that set.

Once i got them off i realized they're metal not plastic like the later ones

I have done 2 sets of 66/67 seat backs and between the two I did note some inconsistency in the SEM product. The first set of metallic red backs out of my 67 came out excellent in my opinion.

View attachment 1572782View attachment 1572783

When I did the black ones out of my 66 a few years ago I didn’t think they came out quite as well, although good. Whether it was the SEM, my technique, difference in sanding/ flattening the grain or the difference in color coat (I used PPG custom mixed paint on the 66), I’m not sure.

View attachment 1572784View attachment 1572785

But both look far better than the beaten up ones. I had a debate about doing the console in the 66 (I did retexture the 67 red one) as even though it wasn't beaten up, the grain pattern in it was so variable and inconsistent and washed out in areas that it looked like it should have been a manufacturing reject. But I ended up just giving it a fresh cover coat. I would give the PPG product a try but I’m probably not going to be doing a 3rd set of these.
Yours look a little brighter red than mine.

I have no idea what was used to paint them .

20240117_143808.jpg

20240117_143802.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back