• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 Charger 361ci - affordable dual exhaust solution?

jmbass98

Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
361ci with Edelbrock intake and AVS2 carburetor. Stock cast iron manifolds. Currently has a single exhaust setup with a leak somewhere along the way. Decided it's probably time to upgrade to true dual.

Can I do this while keeping the stock manifolds? What sort of power / temp benefits should I expect from this?

What kind of pricing should I be looking at for the pipes, gaskets, and clamps? Planning on doing the install myself.

Thanks all.

I bought mine with a dual exhaust system installed by the previous owner. He used the stock manifolds and basically cut off the Y pipe a couple of inches below the flange and sleeved the new pipes over them and welded it. Not the most efficient but he did a pretty clean job.

IMG_20210404_115019.jpg

A dual exhaust system could be bent up by a competent muffler shop to fit your single exhaust manifolds. You would need to get the proper dual exhaust manifolds to install a repro off-the-shelf system.

I learned many years ago that exhaust is one thing left to the shops; both price and quality is generally better at a exhaust shop. Find a Mom and Pop exhaust shop that does just that.....exhaust. They will get you a good system at a great price. My local guy even gives a big discount for CASH.

Accurate has the whole thing and yes you can use your manifolds.
$1200 but it is very good quality and it would be easy to install

I had Midas shop bend two tail pipes for my 66 Satellite. They should have the bend specification for whole system, saw the card with spec's. Spec's were for 2" tube told them to use 2.25 tubing $225. As Dave6t4 said need dual exhaust manifolds. If want to increase pipe diameter make sure pipe to manifold connection works before you have things are bent!

I disagree Fran he can use the manifolds he has.

I just had a full dual exhaust done locally. Using the stock 66-67 non hp exhaust manifolds .

$540 done and out the door. True duals, 2.25" pipes WITH an H pipe, some turbo mufflers and turned down at the rear bumper.

Im super happy as I get rid of the headers and flow master mufflers
And the car sounds GREAT

I just had a full dual exhaust done locally. Using the stock 66-67 non hp exhaust manifolds .

$540 done and out the door. True duals, 2.25" pipes WITH an H pipe, some turbo mufflers and turned down at the rear bumper.

Im super happy as I get rid of the headers and flow master mufflers
And the car sounds GREAT
You did well but there is some risk in having a shop do it that you have no experience with.
The tailpipes in particular need to be correct as there is little room between the tank and shocks and of course they need to end up in the right spot in the rear.
Additionally you need to consider the quality of the pipes I have tailpipes from Accurate from 2000 I think and they still look great.
My Charger is not kept in a climate controlled garage by any means big changes in temperature and humidity here as in when you open the garage door everything metal turns wet with condensation.

361ci with Edelbrock intake and AVS2 carburetor. Stock cast iron manifolds. Currently has a single exhaust setup with a leak somewhere along the way. Decided it's probably time to upgrade to true dual.

Can I do this while keeping the stock manifolds? What sort of power / temp benefits should I expect from this?

What kind of pricing should I be looking at for the pipes, gaskets, and clamps? Planning on doing the install myself.

Thanks all.
How you want to do the dual exhaust is up to you starting with, exhaust manifolds or headers? Ether way, options are not cheap unless you cut and weld yourself with a pipe bender. So, with that said, OOTB exhaust systems that I know of off the top of my head rod your car year make and model are;

Accurate exhaust, goggle the name, be sitting down for there pricing.

TTI exhaust, they have systems for both exhaust manifolds and headers. They will also have headers for your car. Excellent quality and materials.

Summit racing. They have header only dual exhaust in standard aluminum- ized steel with & without mufflers.
I’ve used there kits before.

The TTI & Summit racing exhaust kits need some pipe length trimming for best fit. I’ve found the Summit mufflers (Made by Heart throb) and good until around 450 hp and the TTI system uses Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers good for a few more HP. The Dynomax mufflers are also quieter than the Summit Heart Throbs.

The bottom two kits are mandrel bent @ 2-1/2 inches and that’s a good size for your 361 for max performance.

You did well but there is some risk in having a shop do it that you have no experience with.
The tailpipes in particular need to be correct as there is little room between the tank and shocks and of course they need to end up in the right spot in the rear.
Additionally you need to consider the quality of the pipes I have tailpipes from Accurate from 2000 I think and they still look great.
My Charger is not kept in a climate controlled garage by any means big changes in temperature and humidity here as in when you open the garage door everything metal turns wet with condensation.
Agreed.
This shop came
Agreed.

Luckily this shop is owned by a local mopar guy.
And he came highly recommended by several people.
So felt the car was in good hands.
And i was not disappointed.

Repop accurate exhaust was not in the budget.

Auto Transport Service
Back