• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Charger drivetrain overhaul - time for some changes

The past few days took the gauge cluster out since the voltage limiter must have been stuck last week on the way to work. My gauges pegged and it burned the wire off on the temperature gauge.
The fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge came back on later.

I ordered several things that same day. A new voltage limiter, a tachometer board and a new power pack for the electroluminescent dash lights.
I took the fuel gauge apart and disabled the limiter inside. Added the new one externally. Made a quick repair on the temperature gauge but it doesn't look really good.
I installed everything today with my son's help as I had a tough time seeing anything. But the gauges do work. The tach has mechanical issues with the indicator. I messed around driving it full scale and then bumping the cluster until it returned. Some improvement but it's still pretty sticky I haven't used it for at least 6 years is so since I put the MSD stuff on it.
The new power pack worked for about 15 seconds and was noisy. Then it quit altogether my old one still worked never had an issue. I'm debating contacting the seller.
My son cleaned up the bottom of the driver's seat brackets and welded bolts were the studs should be. They were gone when I got the car.
So closer but not what I had hoped oh well I will stick with it.
Gotta get going on the hood scoop soon...
IMG_20220520_143705615_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220520_143658744_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Drove it to work today.
All the gauges worked but temp gauge reads low as does the tach.
Tach works well when it's warmer hardly worked this morning when it was like 50 out.
I can calibrate the tach but the temp gauge will likely stay as is for a while.

June 20th the hood goes in to get painted.
Hopefully fitting the hood scoop on this weekend.
I'll post pictures.

Last edited:
Had our "garage night" tonight at my friend's.
My son helped me get the scoop mounted.
Carl was working on the Ford.
IMG_20220525_213350769_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220525_214135649_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220525_214206217_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220525_215105404_HDR.jpg

Getting there:
Hood is back on and painted looks really good.
Needs a little adjustment for height and gaps but I like it.
Pictures shortly...

Hood letters on, need to steal the trim off the other hood.
These are OER reproduction letters and they are surprisingly good quality just like the originals maybe even better.
IMG_20220627_211422257.jpg

Last edited:
Had a great trip to Carlisle.
The car ran perfectly the only thing that cropped up was the vacuum line for the fuel regulator popped off some time Saturday.
We noticed a high idle and lower vacuum reading but we were both so tired Saturday when we got back to the hotel didn't look behind the throttle body.
It's a push lock industrial 90 degree fitting to a copper line so we just didn't suspect it to come loose I guess.
The EFI covers it up driving down the road but I found it yesterday (Sunday) after cleaning up the bugs.
A wonderful time at the show.
1658158773612.png

On the way home near 86 and 390 in NY.

1658158838785.png

It was sunny and fairly warm today.
It rained hard last night so the roads were washed off from the last salting.
Couldn't wait any longer.
Went over and uncovered the Charger, hooked up the battery and fired it up.
That is always a good feeling becuase I know in a few months it will be "car season".

After a short drive I put it right back in and started to take off the front bumper.
The rear 2 bolts did NOT want to come loose.
I'll have to regroup with some more tools and try it again.

XoJ4U3_T907FZhUNlzyxEXw=w1124-h843-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back