• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 66 Charger intake help

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Edelbrock Performer or the like would be excellent. A 600/650 cfm carb would be excellent as well.
An Edelbrock 650 Thunder series or a Holley VS carb.

Agree. Typical swap meet prices for an Edelbrock performer 383/400 are about $75.
Weiand is also a good alternative.

I've bought several 600 CFM Edelbrock carbs for about the same price at those swap meets.
All but one ran just fine and only needed tuning.
The one that didn't had some plugged passages and only needed a cleaning.

The 650 Thunder series is harder to find and more expensive. $200 plus is the going rate for those.

Note that you will either need to look for one with an electric choke (and wire it) or buy, install and operate a manual choke cable setup. The instruction manual is available for D/L on their site.

Has anyone mentioned that some carbs are square bore and some are spread bore?

Has anyone mentioned that some carbs are square bore and some are spread bore?
If your talking about the Edelbrock carbs, they are all square bore carbs dispite the small off set diameter sizes between primary and secondary.

Spreadbore carbs are the TQ, Quadrajet & some Holley carbs. The spreadbore is noted as having a very large off set sizing of butterflies.

The TQ has ether 1.38 or 1.50 primary and 2.50 secondary butterflies.

This thread is a couple of months old, I know.
I went through it again and did see someone told him about square bore and spread bores.
Good. That could bite him if he buys the wrong stuff.
The only other thing that comes to mind is that timing chain.
If it was me, I would do what others have suggested and get the engine running without a lot of other work.
But after I was satisfied the engine was "good" and not wasting my time, I would change the timing chain.
If that chain is stretched (likely) and if it jumps time, he might have a mess.

Yea, well, I think a host of new parts would be in order. A safe move than a sorry non move.

What host would you suggest other than a timing chain to be "safe".
Oil pump?
I had a 69 383 with a nylon gear.
I meant to include that with a chain.

I seriously would just simply change all fluids and tune up the engine. And that's it. Drive it around for a while and let it run and work a little. Run it a few thousand miles and keep checking the fluid levels.

You'll be amazed at how well it like to run and drive the more and longer you drive it. My old 400 sat for a good spell and it just took to the road no problem.

Repair what's needed to run it and worry not until it needs it. IMO there is no sense to break it down now because "You Think!" It has gunk inside of it. Change the fluids and filters and drive it!

Basic tune up parts as mentioned and etc..... Valve cover gaskets would probably be helpful or not needed, but they do tend to leak.
I myself like having a small stash of parts on hand. Thermostat, hoses & clamps, cap and rotor, extra spark plugs & wires, fuel, oil, air filters.
You know, all those wearables and things that tend to be needed to be replaced often or once in a while.
A timing chain to replace the OE that MAY or MAY NOT be on there is a decent call for an upgrade, but may not be needed. They are inexpensive though. Just a call that the owner would have to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back