• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Charger restoration

mcgov50

Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone tried DIY grille restoration, especially getting the black areas painted? also looking to restore center console and seat backs, can they be painted?

Yes you can mask the front of the grille. I painted mine from the back. Seat backs are dyed not painted. Very light scuff with 600 paper.

For the grille painting I thought of a trick when I had my 71 Ranchero. Shoot it from the back side. Only thing that might make it difficult is the slits are narrow and may be hard to get paint in between. Otherwise you can paint from the front or even both sides and wipe the edges with a low lint rag and reducer.

I don't see why you couldn't paint the console and seat backs. Just prep the surface properly.

Thanks for the info. Some of this stuff is above my pay grade but willing to learn. Can you buy correct color dyes and where.

I haven't done the grille on mine but many others have. What they did was to remove the grille and scuff in between the bars of the grille then painted it black, some have masked off the chrome on each vertical bar, others have used lacquer thinner to wipe off the black paint off the chrome. Both was work, I'm sure someone will share their story.
There are new stainless steel inserts that are available for the center console. A member (indydoc) over at 66-67charger makes them and also has them on ebay. The plastic can be sprayed to look like new.
Last winter I recovered the front seats in my '66. The rear seats were good shape but just needed to be freshened up to match the look of the new front seat covers. I sprayed them with SEM Color Coat satin black. They turned out great. I also sprayed the carpet, it made big difference.

Before
IMG_3969_zpsb4192dc0.jpg

After
IMG_3976_zps0746f9cc.jpg

Sorry no pics of the seats, thought I had some.

Reed

Attachments

• IMG_4455_zpsb339e015.jpg
    IMG_4455_zpsb339e015.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Totally Auto (restoration products) might have correct colors or you can go to a professional automotive paint store and get something off an old color chart. Even start at the hardware store and see if there is something close.

Don't know how that pic of the car in the shed got on there, can't delete it. Oh well, that's where the car spends the winter months.

Looks pretty awesome, thanks again for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks will give it a try.

I went a different route...painted the entire grille black....

660001.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back