• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Charger Trim Removal

twodxtream

Local time
10:15 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the rear trim and fender welds on their charger? Just wondering what to expect if i decide to do that.

:sFl_america2:

Do you want to shave the trim? If so, I have done it. The fenders and doors are easy- just some small holes to weld in. The quarters are harder-there's a pinchweld seam under the moulding. I cut 3 or 4 inches of the pinchweld at a time with a zip wheel in a grinder and tack welded as I went. Take your time and let things cool and it's not that hard.

Glad you asked

Do you want to shave the trim? If so, I have done it. The fenders and doors are easy- just some small holes to weld in. The quarters are harder-there's a pinchweld seam under the moulding. I cut 3 or 4 inches of the pinchweld at a time with a zip wheel in a grinder and tack welded as I went. Take your time and let things cool and it's not that hard.

My son and I are planning to do just this very thing to his 67,
I was thinking about asking the very question on here.
I'm also thinking that if I leave a tiny bit of the pinchweld standing, maybe a 16th to an 8th inch, there will be less chance of burning a hole through with the mig when I tack it..
I can then dress it down flat with a grinder.

My two cents, these cars are difficult to sell if sometime down the road you want to sell your 67. Modifying the car will make it more difficult to sell. If that's not a concern, your car, have fun with it....

Auto Transport Service
Back