• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet - 15” spare - Needs to fit trunk storage

watermelon

Local time
7:49 AM
Reaction score
Hi All,

Time for a spare 15” wheel, my 14” does not fit the Wilwood front discs.

I am running P235/60R15 tires all around and test fit one into the trunk spare wheel storage but it is too wide and does not allow the trunk cardboard to sit flat.

The spare is a P195/74R14 and it works.

Any ideas on what rim + tire combo would work?

Thanks,

Watermelon

I would try a 195/75x15, on a 15x5, or 15x6 wheel. 15x5 would be better.
Do you have a sure grip? If so, and you have to use the spare on the rear, it's nice if the spare is the same height. Width means nothing.
Measure the height of the rear tires (front end won't care) and match the aspect ratio of the spare to get the same height. 60, 70, or 75, whichever.

Thanks for the reply 33

i did have an Eaton Trutrac installed so it’s kind of suregrip-ish

All tires come out to 26.1” tall

Is there a backspace to shoot for as well?

Thanks,
Watermelon

Not really. Any rim narrow enough to fit a tire that narrow, whatever backspace it has should be fine. My factory 15x6 has 4"bs, I think factory 15x5 has 3 1/2. The true trac doesn't have clutch plates or cones, so it should matter much less, but.... 195/75 is 26.5 tall, 195/70 is 25.7.

I got a 15" compact spare from a jeep for mine it will get me home.

I got a 15" compact spare from a jeep for mine it will get me home.
I was thinking about something like this as well.

My satellite has 15" rims with 245-60-15s on it.
I bought an extra 15-7 magnum with like size tire and the board sits way to high now
I had thought about hitting a local junk yard to see if I could find a like size minispare

Thanks for the replies all

So the 5 x 4.5” lug pattern is still used on modern cars. Will see what’s out there

Watermelon

Thanks for the replies all

So the 5 x 4.5” lug pattern is still used on modern cars. Will see what’s out there

Watermelon
Not on modern chargers/challengers. They use 5 on 100mm, which is very close to the 5 on 4", but not quite right.
Looking for modern wheels, mustangs still use 5 on 4 1/2.

Auto Transport Service
Back