What spare tire/wheel to use?

Tires and Wheels (Mopar Hubcaps Too)

1. Warhorse

Warhorse Member

Local Time:
    4:41 PM
    Friends,
    My '68 Charger is fitted with Circle Racing Billet Magnum 500's, 17x7 front, 17x8 rear. Tires are Nitto 450 P225/50R17 front, P255/50R17 rear. I'd like to have a "spare" to finish out the trunk area that would look good and be functional. Should I use a OEM type 15" or 16" steel wheel with appropriate tire, or should I stick to 17"? Any ideas appreciated!

photo.JPG

2. Jerry Hall

Jerry Hall FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:41 PM
    I would use a 15" steel wheel and a tire that is the same height or diameter of your rear tires.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Warhorse

Warhorse Member

Local Time:
      Thanx Jerry. That would make sense because 15" steel wheels are available, look stock and matching diameters would minimize handling issues.

• 69L48Z27

69L48Z27 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      What brake package is one the car? Some aftermarket caliper kits require 16” and larger wheels.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • 33 IMP

33 IMP Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        1:41 PM
        Agree with Jerry. Unless you have big brakes that preclude use of 15s, i would use a small tire that fits in the space that is the same diameter as your rears. If you do need to use the spare, it wont matter on the front, but in the rear, two different height tires will do unpleasant things to suregrips, especially the cone type.

• myk r sanchez

myk r sanchez FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        1:41 PM
        I'd go with same style and size of rim that you have on the rest of the car. If you have a flat, then you just put on a near exact copy of your running wheels...

• Warhorse

Warhorse Member

Local Time:
        Yup, thanx for the reminder. I've already run into this issue. I'm running 12" rotors with 6-piston calipers from Wilwood and found my 15" Magnums would not fit. Had to replace them with the 17" wheels. The tires where special order from Diamondback (awesome folks BTW) who vulcanized red-lines into the sidewalls for me. I see three options: 1. blackwall same size as rear on simple 17" rim; 2. OEM wheel/tire that I would never use and call AAA; 3. Leave the area open and call AAA. Thanx for the reminders and inputs.

• Triplegreen500

Triplegreen500 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Air compressor, rope plugs, and a ream set. Put a stock spare wheel/tire in there just for show. My 500 has the original bias-ply (hard as a freakin' ROCK) spare in the trunk, on the original steel wheel...and it's staying. It'll never go on the road...but it's staying in the trunk for show (along with the OEM jack).

• Like Like x 1
        • Warhorse

Warhorse Member

Local Time:
          Nice. Amazing we drove around on those bias-plies, but they were the latest things! I just picked up a newly manufactured OEM jack last year, it's pretty sweet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.