• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet Convertible

Lots of progress since my last post; 440 is back in its home, I finished the restoration on the heater box; rebuilt the rear axle, changed the 2.74 to a 3.23, added an Eaton (Detroit Gear) Truetrac unit as well. Original was a sure-grip. TTI exhaust is installed and ready to roll. New rear springs going in with the axle in a couple weeks.

Next is wiring, I've got most of the under hood stuff ready to install. I've got to make a couple new harnesses for the extra oil and temp gauges, a/c and tach. Going to put some relays in on the high amperage parts to relieve the old electrical system a bit. Got to clean up the rear wiring and convertible top wiring. Sent the dash harness off to Canada for rebuild; that should be back hopefully end of the month, then I can start it!

Taking a break and heading to Carlisle next week! After that, I've got the following week off, going to get as much done on the car as possible.

20220521_203404.jpg

20220702_194138.jpg

Long overdue update, got her running, suspension all rebuilt, she's just about all re-wired; finishing the dash wiring harness up in the next week or so. Then I can put the interior in and really start getting close to having it all done. About 10,000 small things to do. Tie up wires, route hoses, get A/C going, etc.

Here's a video of the first start; after cam break in;

Long overdue update, got her running, suspension all rebuilt, she's just about all re-wired; finishing the dash wiring harness up in the next week or so. Then I can put the interior in and really start getting close to having it all done. About 10,000 small things to do. Tie up wires, route hoses, get A/C going, etc.

It's alive!

Nice sound. Is that a 383

Nice sound. Is that a 383

1969 440. A few mods; Performer RPM Aluminum heads, roller rockers, new pistons, upped the compression to 10 to 1; cam is upper end of mild; can't wait to drive it. TTI exhaust with Super 44's from Flowmaster.

Replaced the shifter today with a Hurst Competition unit; she'll be a fun machine -- top down with A/C to boot. LOL.

1969 440. A few mods; Performer RPM Aluminum heads, roller rockers, new pistons, upped the compression to 10 to 1; cam is upper end of mild; can't wait to drive it. TTI exhaust with Super 44's from Flowmaster.

Replaced the shifter today with a Hurst Competition unit; she'll be a fun machine -- top down with A/C to boot. LOL.
Nice! Almost finished with the top on mine. 440 with 539HP&560TQ is fun to drive and sleeper to these young kids that pull up and get smoked..

20221004_123010.jpg

20221004_123025.jpg

Nice! Almost finished with the top on mine. 440 with 539HP&560TQ is fun to drive and sleeper to these young kids that pull up and get smoked..

View attachment 1354964

View attachment 1354965

Awesome! Sweet car! Cant wait to get my interior in so I can drive her; numbers should be pretty close to yours. Thing about these cars, you don't see them everyday; at shows, Cars and Coffee, or whatever; their head turners. Kids think its some old guy with an old car. LOL.

I'm out of Raleigh; not far away from you.

Awesome! Sweet car! Cant wait to get my interior in so I can drive her; numbers should be pretty close to yours. Thing about these cars, you don't see them everyday; at shows, Cars and Coffee, or whatever; their head turners. Kids think its some old guy with an old car. LOL.

I'm out of Raleigh; not far away from you.
Cool, once tpu get it rolling we can meetup at one of the shows and educate the youngsters..

Got the cluster all back together tonight. Converted ammeter to voltmeter with the help of a gauge expert. Retained the factory look. Went thru the speedo, greased/calibrated; fuel and temp gauges working good; other than that replaced the 56 year old circuit board for good measure. Got a bit more to finish up on the interior and console wiring, and some testing, then can move on to final assembly;

20221019_213600.jpg

20221019_213614.jpg

Got the cluster all back together tonight. Converted ammeter to voltmeter with the help of a gauge expert. Retained the factory look. Went thru the speedo, greased/calibrated; fuel and temp gauges working good; other than that replaced the 56 year old circuit board for good measure. Got a bit more to finish up on the interior and console wiring, and some testing, then can move on to final assembly;

View attachment 1360518

View attachment 1360519
Wow! That looks great. Who makes the new circuit boards? And what was the process of converting the amp gauge?

Wow! That looks great. Who makes the new circuit boards? And what was the process of converting the amp gauge?

Classic industries has the circuit boards. Redline Gauge works out in CA did the ammeter conversion. They replace the guts with a voltmeter board and driver, and it retains the factory look and function.

Classic industries has the circuit boards. Redline Gauge works out in CA did the ammeter conversion. They replace the guts with a voltmeter board and driver, and it retains the factory look and function.
Thanks, did you redo the lettering and numbers too?

Got the console mocked up last weekend, brackets welded in, most of the wiring is done just waiting on a few parts; got done what I could today on the wiring, and undercoated the floor pan, next, finish all the dash wiring...radio, extra gauges, console harness is what's left...then..-- adding fog lights "due to 67 bumper on a 66" LOL. Going to look like it had them from the factory.

20221022_125744.jpg

Looking great!
Where/how did you mount the extra relays?
I decided to go a different route since I ended up restoring all of the wiring in the car. Now the alternator wire is separated from the dash wiring and goes directly to the battery with a 60 amp fuse. The dash feed goes to a bus bar (no more ammeter, now a voltmeter) with a 30 amp fuse. Everything attached to the bus bar will have its own fuse and a relay if it needs to be ignition switched. Relays will be next to the bus bar which is under the center a/c duct...about the only place where there is room.

Main dash harness is almost done; just have to add the "optional accessories" for 1966; radio, backup lights, and fog lights -- that will be my custom option since I discovered I have a 67 bumper dont need that many turn signals...lol-- I'll be converting the 67 turn signals in the bumper to H3 bulbs -- fog lights.....found a nice vintage switch for the dash that will make it look factory; then plug in the console wiring, tidy everything up, and its all set; so far, all tests passed, everything works; once this is done, onto final assembly! Leaving some 1966 patina on the dash for character!

20221107_231112.jpg

Wiring and dash is all done, except for radio, will be a few months on that, it's being rebuilt. Got the sound deadener installed today, next week is carpet and interior!

20221217_145507.jpg

Spent all day installing carpet and building the console. Onto door panels and seats tomorrow...

20221228_204253.jpg

Interior is all set! Just waiting for the radio to be rebuilt and a couple window seals which are backordered.

323449033_537638384967210_7238461410124175065_n.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back