• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet Dual quad Poly fit

DodgeDos

Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone put a dual quad manifold on a poly 318 in a 66 Coronet? Always thought about it but parts weren’t here or not sure of fit. Parts became available to me. So seeing if anyone made the fit.

I think Weiand and Edelbrock both made dual quads for the poly, one was on the factory models (290hp). Look on the internet for the old Hotrod articles by Gary Pavlovich on stroking the poly, I think there are more details there, maybe part numbers.

The original (1956, 57, 58) factory Poly 2 X 4 intakes were cast iron and used Carter WCFB carbs. They're often on ebay for $300 - $600, often easier to find than a used single 4bbl intake for those engines. Note: the 1956 was only a 277 cid version.

If it seems like dual quads are overkill on a 318, they likely are but those carbs (2631S (front) and 2632SA (rear) only flowed about 380 cfm each. Remember, back then even a little 265 Chevy smallblock in a Corvette could have factory dual quads so it wasn't that unusual of an option before larger engines were developed. The Poly engines with this intake also had dual exhaust, higher compression and better cam. I don't know if the heads were different or not.

The original (1956, 57, 58) factory Poly 2 X 4 intakes were cast iron and used Carter WCFB carbs. They're often on ebay for $300 - $600, often easier to find than a used single 4bbl intake for those engines. Note: the 1956 was only a 277 cid version.

If it seems like dual quads are overkill on a 318, they likely are but those carbs (2631S (front) and 2632SA (rear) only flowed about 380 cfm each. Remember, back then even a little 265 Chevy smallblock in a Corvette could have factory dual quads so it wasn't that unusual of an option before larger engines were developed. The Poly engines with this intake also had dual exhaust, higher compression and better cam. I don't know if the heads were different or not.
'56 Fury's used a Canadian sourced 301.

'56 Fury's used a Canadian sourced 301.
Ah, the internet - not the 277 engine for '56 then, that was reserved for lesser Plymouths. But the Canadian engine was a 303; Plymouth's 301 didn't arrive until the next year. Also, I've seen from many sources that the factory intake was aluminum and not iron as I first posted.

Auto Transport Service
Back