• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet wrong door locks?

jteck10

Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score
random question here, my 1966 coronet doors wont lock - is it possible the wrong locks are installed on the door? or wrong arm?

in the picture, the rod that goes from the lock to the locking mechanism within the door wont extend high enough to let the lock gear engage
from inside the door, the lock looks to be new, but the rod and all other gears look to be old.

when i look up a replacement set online, every kit comes with a different shaped rod than what i have

is it possible i have the wrong rod, lock, or door hinge pin?

any help is appreciated!

IMG_7378.jpg

Right in the middle of the lower circle, is that a screw? Is there a corresponding hole on the other side? Might be an adjustment there

They won't lock with the key, after they are closed?

Right in the middle of the lower circle, is that a screw? Is there a corresponding hole on the other side? Might be an adjustment there
This little guy? I think it is a screw but I didn’t see a possibility of adjusting last time I was in there. I’ll get in there in a bit and try messing around with it

IMG_7378.jpeg

What's the possibility the doors have been changed?

Are they a different color under the panel, or any other signs?

Do they lock with the push button?

This little guy? I think it is a screw but I didn’t see a possibility of adjusting last time I was in there. I’ll get in there in a bit and try messing around with it

View attachment 1541602
Yep there's a little Allen head screw for that adjustment from the out side. Loosen it up, you'll see
20231017_120953.jpg

What's the possibility the doors have been changed?

Are they a different color under the panel, or any other signs?

Do they lock with the push button?
i wouldnt doubt it at this point. no fender tag, custom interior, some parts and peices removed, new paint job, no build sheet. i'm open to any possibility at this point

they wont lock with the push button either

With the door closed?

If not, unhook the push button linkage and see.

Here's a pic from my 67 coronet parts car for comparison purposes. Drivers door 4dr car.

dh.jpg

With the door closed?

If not, unhook the push button linkage and see.
negative, they wouldnt do it with the door closed either. just fixed this with the adjustment screw noted above.

Learn something every day.

I'm on my 6th 66/67 B body and never knew or had to know about that adjustment screw.

Auto Transport Service
Back