• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 mirror info

Twin post mirror, or single post mirror? '66's only please

• Twin post

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Single post

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lefty71

Local time
7:01 PM
Reaction score
So, Ive been noticing that '66 seems to be a changeover year for the standard drivers outside chrome mirror. Not really anything specific, a couple questions just for general knowledge and discussion;

If you look at the old brochures and promotional materials, including video from back in the day (not just '66) most vehicles have an inside rearview, but no outside. Is this just for promotion (looks) or were they optional?? I kinda doubt they were optional in '66, since every regular sold car image I can find has some kind of mirror, except race cars.

Also, two post versus the later fat single post mirror. Is this a late/early thing?? Or is more dependent on the origin, meaning the factory where the car was built?? My '66 has the later fat post version, but I see a whole lot of pics with twin post mirrors like A's and B's back to '62.

Just curious, Lefty71

My Satellite has a twin post. I'm sure a driver's sideview mirror was standard, and it was probably mandated by DOT.

My 66 Belvedere was a June 66 build,has a two post.

Twin post on my '66 Imperial, unrestored in 1996.
66  imperial.jpg

Dont take to this to the bank as Im still doing some digging

But I'm 99% positive 1962 thru 1966 is twin post.

Now, to make it a little muddy . So far Im told 62 thru sometime in 1964 the mirrors had no pentastar on the back side. later ones did

IIRC 64 was the federal mandate for a DS mirror.

Not sure if it was a "January 1" mandate like a lot of other stuff (seat belts, head restraints, etc)

Previous to that, they were optional.

I also believe the "fat post" was a remote mirror and was optional in 66.

Last edited:
Neither of my 66s have a twin post side view mirror.
It's a solid base.

They are remote control.

It's a solid base.

They are remote control.
I would say remotes are a great but a different animule. :poke: Have a 69 remote on mine, sorry I put it on. Who knew in 1978 car would be a collector item.

I would say remotes are a great but a different animule. :poke: Have a 69 remote on mine, sorry I put it on. Who knew in 1978 car would be a collector item.
Same here. Mine was converted to remote when it was done back in the late 90s - early 2000s

I would much prefer the 2 post manual mirror

I have seen 66 Chargers with twin post driver side mirrors And single post. One of the 66’s had dual post and some had single posts.
1967 o/s mirrors were optional
o/s LH Remote. 5.45
o/s RH. 6.35
There is a 67 with a manual mirror that I have seen. I also have a driver’s door panel without a hole for a remote mirror.

I have seen 66 Chargers with twin post driver side mirrors And single post. One of the 66’s had dual post and some had single posts.
1967 o/s mirrors were optional
o/s LH Remote. 5.45
o/s RH. 6.35
There is a 67 with a manual mirror that I have seen. I also have a driver’s door panel without a hole for a remote mirror.

Do you mean in 67 a remote mirror was optional?

Pretty sure a driver's outside mirror was federally mandated by then.

I've never seen a 67 without at least a DS manual mirror.

I can say the same for 66 but my "expertise" ends there so can't comment on 65.

I bet hamtramckhistorical would be the proof.

Do you mean in 67 a remote mirror was optional?

Pretty sure a driver's outside mirror was federally mandated by then.

I've never seen a 67 without at least a DS manual mirror.
I will check further. According to my information 67 remote mirror was optional. But could have been included in some package.

It's a solid base.

They are remote control.
Where is the adjustment stick for passengers side, any pic? That's a cool and rare option.

Where is the adjustment stick for passengers side, any pic? That's a cool and rare option.
No, passenger side was manual. I radically changed our Charger. It has a factory driver’s remote. I like dual mirrors so I added a passenger one. Sat in the driver’s seat and had a helper move the mirror back and forth until it worked well. Now I only have to get the car finished so I we can do a road trip.

Outside remote adjustable mirror was optional at least as early as 1964. When I was restoring my 1964 Polara 500 convertible, I found a NOS 1964 remote adjustable mirror, still in the box, for it. It was similar to the later, '66 and up piece, with the same base. However, the chrome mirror head had a depressed ring on the outside edge, where the newer mirror is smooth to the outside edge. I am guessing the '65 mirror was like this as well. The optional inside adjustable mirror should show up on your build sheet as P 2.
I once had a 1967 Coronet 3-seat wagon that had the optional adjustable mirror on the driver's door. This car also had the matching non-adjustable mirror on the passenger side, since 1967 wagons came with passenger side mirror as standard equipment. We took this car to the 1986 Mopar Nationals at Columbus, Ohio, and were the only wagon there. This was before the passenger side mirror was reproduced, and we had quite a few people wanting to buy my mirror. The passenger side mirror was never inside adjustable

Outside remote adjustable mirror was optional at least as early as 1964. When I was restoring my 1964 Polara 500 convertible, I found a NOS 1964 remote adjustable mirror, still in the box, for it. It was similar to the later, '66 and up piece, with the same base. However, the chrome mirror head had a depressed ring on the outside edge, where the newer mirror is smooth to the outside edge. I am guessing the '65 mirror was like this as well. The optional inside adjustable mirror should show up on your build sheet as P 2.
I once had a 1967 Coronet 3-seat wagon that had the optional adjustable mirror on the driver's door. This car also had the matching non-adjustable mirror on the passenger side, since 1967 wagons came with passenger side mirror as standard equipment. We took this car to the 1986 Mopar Nationals at Columbus, Ohio, and were the only wagon there. This was before the passenger side mirror was reproduced, and we had quite a few people wanting to buy my mirror. The passenger side mirror was never inside adjustable
I agree completely and my original post shows that I think. I have mirror’s with the depressed ring.

Auto Transport Service
Back