• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 mirror info

Twin post mirror, or single post mirror? '66's only please

• Twin post

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Single post

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So, Ive been noticing that '66 seems to be a changeover year for the standard drivers outside chrome mirror. Not really anything specific, a couple questions just for general knowledge and discussion;

If you look at the old brochures and promotional materials, including video from back in the day (not just '66) most vehicles have an inside rearview, but no outside. Is this just for promotion (looks) or were they optional?? I kinda doubt they were optional in '66, since every regular sold car image I can find has some kind of mirror, except race cars.

Also, two post versus the later fat single post mirror. Is this a late/early thing?? Or is more dependent on the origin, meaning the factory where the car was built?? My '66 has the later fat post version, but I see a whole lot of pics with twin post mirrors like A's and B's back to '62.

Just curious, Lefty71
66 what?

C body cars had optional remote pass side mirrors in 66/67.

They look "just like" B body remote adjust DS mirrors.

(IIRC they may have a slightly different surround)

The remote cable is short and mounts the joystick in the same relative position on the passenger's upper door frame.

Finding a used or NOS one of those is absolutely possible.....but it's for a C body application.

1683550075761.png
THe remote control and Matchmate are the same style. You may find a slightly different style used on C bodies.
1683550233280.png

Toolmanmike This is awesome info thx!! I see you pages you've posted are listed as "accessories", not "options", although in some cases they may be both. This may go a long way in explaining why my car had the Match-Mate mirror on it. Possibly the original owner purchased it to replace a loose Viewmaster?? Thx again for the info.

Toolmanmike This is awesome info thx!! I see you pages you've posted are listed as "accessories", not "options", although in some cases they may be both. This may go a long way in explaining why my car had the Match-Mate mirror on it. Possibly the original owner purchased it to replace a loose Viewmaster?? Thx again for the info.
Entirely possible.

Our 66 Belvedere I has this single post. Non remote. This car has original paint. It shows no signs of ever having been replaced.

DSCN5155.JPG

DSCN5156.JPG

DSCN5157.JPG

My '66 Coronet 500 has the original remote DS mirror, and had NO PS mirror at all, originally. In 1983, I had a '66 Fury II Suburban wagon I snagged (then) for the 383 auto to install in a '66 Belvedere II ragtop. It had the C-body PS mirror that ended up being a "mirror image" to my stock Coronet mirror...so, on she went! If you didn't know '66s, you'd think it was original to the car.

coronet rear qtr.jpg

, and had NO PS mirror at all,
I'm pretty sure that's true for most '66s actually.

I can't see from your pic, but I'm guessing that's the Match-Mate type mirror I'm seeing (see post #25)???

I'm pretty sure that's true for most '66s actually.

I can't see from your pic, but I'm guessing that's the Match-Mate type mirror I'm seeing (see post #25)???

Close, and in fact, it may well be that. It came off the wagon I'd mentioned, and it looked like it was the original on that car. Wagons, in general, tended to have a PS mirror more often than not, for what the car was designed to do - haul stuff and tow a trailer.

IIRC 64 was the federal mandate for a DS mirror.

Not sure if it was a "January 1" mandate like a lot of other stuff (seat belts, head restraints, etc)

Previous to that, they were optional.

I also believe the "fat post" was a remote mirror and was optional in 66.
My 66 Belvedere I standard mirror is a twin post but remember my 66 Belvedere II remote being the fat post. No way a cable could be fitted to the twin post unless it was external or something lol

I think thee are 2 different "fat post" mirrors.

1 is remote, 1 is not.

They look similar but not identical.

The original had a C-Body mirror put in the Satellite around time of delivery.

Auto Transport Service
Back