• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 MOPARs - what's the scoop on engine numbers, transmission numbers, and VINs?

SIX TO GO

Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
For 1966, is it true that if you have a 66 Dodge or Plymouth and are trying to see if the engine and trans are the same ones that came with the vehicle originally, you won't find a number matching on the engine block, trans housing, and VIN? I've looked through the threads trying to gain clarity and while I see stuff written several different ways I just don't see it clearly nor am I able to see numbers on my block or trans that I can tell matches my car exactly.
I know my Coronet 500 came with a 383 and an automatic (by build sheet and fender tag); I don't know how to prove or disprove they are the original engine and trans for the car.
My guess is I can't but I can possibly prove by some stamps located somewhere that they are the correct year - if nothing else.
Can anyone provide clarity?
Thanks!

2.JPG

No scoop. There are none. Just casting numbers and dates cast right in the block. No VIN's. No "Numbers Matching" That all started in 68 I believe.

Engine ID and build date is stamped on the distributor area pad. All you can do is go by casting, engine build date and the SPD of the car.

Well you have the correct waterpump housing and intake by the looks of it which is good.
Wrong exhaust mainfolds

In front of the passenger side head on the deck surface you should find B 383 and a month-day date code. The scheduled production date of your car is under the SO on your fender tag. It will be 3 digits or a letter with 2 digits. The last 2 digits are the day of the month. The first digit or letter is the month, 1 through 9 is Jan. - Sept., and ABC is oct.- dec. In theory the engine date should precede the SPD by a day to a few weeks. The SPD is not necessarily the actual production date, so the engine date could be after the SPD and still be the original engine.

some 66 Chargers have a VIN behind the rear bumper. May be the same for 66 Coronets.

Well you have the correct waterpump housing and intake by the looks of it which is good.
Wrong exhaust mainfolds

Yeah, i noticed that too. He should trade me those hp manifolds for a set of stock ones. Especially if they're the icky 67 models. Just tryin to help a guy out.
:lol:

No scoop. There are none. Just casting numbers and dates cast right in the block. No VIN's. No "Numbers Matching" That all started in 68 I believe.
So a 68 has VIN stamped where? On engine and transmission? Rad support? Cowl? I heard it was stamped in the trunk lip, true or not?

So a 68 has VIN stamped where? On engine and transmission? Rad support? Cowl? I heard it was stamped in the trunk lip, true or not?
*some * of the high performance engine cars had a serial # on the engine and trans . By the oil sender

My 66 Belvedere was a one owner 57000 mile car nothing was ever replaced on it they just drove it ,I’m not a numbers guy but I started to notice all the date codes on the parts. The cars build date is 6/13 /66 the motor is dated 5/9/66 carb 4/66 starter was 1/66 trans was 3/66 and so on .So it’s pretty safe to say it’s the original engine it was a ordered car, 383 four barrel posi.

FFCC0D79-DD02-4886-AD26-7FB112F53943.jpeg

Hey guys,
For 1966, is it true that if you have a 66 Dodge or Plymouth and are trying to see if the engine and trans are the same ones that came with the vehicle originally, you won't find a number matching on the engine block, trans housing, and VIN? I've looked through the threads trying to gain clarity and while I see stuff written several different ways I just don't see it clearly nor am I able to see numbers on my block or trans that I can tell matches my car exactly.
I know my Coronet 500 came with a 383 and an automatic (by build sheet and fender tag); I don't know how to prove or disprove they are the original engine and trans for the car.
My guess is I can't but I can possibly prove by some stamps located somewhere that they are the correct year - if nothing else.
Can anyone provide clarity?
Thanks!

View attachment 1557069
I found this info in a old thread here and it might explain some things. Matching Numbers defined

Here is a definition for MOPARS :

1. The first thing you want to check is the V.I.N. of the vehicle against the title or in some states the registration.

2. The second thing to check is the fender tag against the body codes.
A. For 1968 and older vehicles , the S.O. number is stamped on the body.
B. For 1969 and newer vehicles , the V.I.N. number is stamped on the body.

3. The next thing to check is the fender tag against the S.O. number or the V.I.N. in the "hidden numbers" locations on the body. You will find thes numbers in different loctations depending on the model year and body platform.
A. 1966-68 will have the S.O. number on the upper portion drivers side radiator core support.
B. 1966-67 MAY also have it on the drivers side rear body cross member that the bumper support bolts to.
C. 1968 will also have it stamped on the driver's side trunk opening lip under the weather stripping.
D. 1969 and newer vehicles will have the V.I.N. stamped on the driver's side upper portion of the radiator core support.
E. 1969 and newer B bodies also have it stamped on the driver's side trunk opening lip under the weather stripping.
F. 1970 E bodies will have it stamped on the driver's side cowl near the vent cover and will NOT have it on the driver's side trunk opening lip under the weather stripping.

4. The next item that is VERY important to numbers matching is the engine. For all 1967 and older engines (including low performance 1968 engines) you have to date the engine prior to the scheduled production date of the vehicle.
A. Small block engines (273-318-340-360) have the date stamped on the front of the below the driver's side cylinder head.
B. Big block B engines (383-400) have the date stamped on the front of the below the passenger's side cylinder head.
C. Big block RB engines have the (413-426-440) have the date stamped on the front of the block in front of the intake manifold ajacent to the distrbutor. This is true for all 1964-1967 Hemi engines.
D. Big block 426 RB engines have the date stamped on the oil pan rail at the rear flange under the starter. This is true for all 1968 383 & 440 engines.

For 1969 and newer engines (including 1968 high performance engines) a full or partial V.I.N. is stamped on the engine block.
E. 1968 HP engines are stamped on the top rear of the block near the oil sending unit.
F. 1969 and newer V8 engines are stamped on pad at the lower passenger side of the block above the oil pan.

Note: Early in the 1969 model year the complete 13 digit was stamped on the engine and transmission. mid year 1969 and later engines only the last 8 digits of the V.I.N. were stamped on the engine and transmission.

5. The next item that is important to numbers matching is the transmission.
For 1969 and newer engines (including high performance 1968 engines) a full of parial V.I.N. is stamped on the transmission case.
A. 1968 and newer manual transmissions are stamped on a raised pad on the passenger side of the case.
B. 1968 only automatic transmissions (high performance V8) are stamped on the top front of the case where it meets the engine.
C. 1969 and newer automatic transmissions are stamped on a raised pad on the passenger side front of the case.

6. The last item that relates to numbers matching is the door V.I.N. decal.
For 1970 and newer vehicles (including 1969 Daytonas) the door V.I.N. decal is on the driver's side door jamb.

The above definition comes from GGs white books.
It is pretty much word for word except that I left out his references to where to find this info in his other books, and I changed #3 as HIS info was referring to contacting him for matching V.I.N.s in HIS registry.

As you can see, It becomes more involved with more numbers to check the newer the car gets. It is also confusing for people because the "hidden numbers" are different depending on the year of the car as to the factories use of S.O. numbers and V.I.N. You will notice that there is no V.I.N. located on the engine or transmission for 1967 and older AND this also applies to 1968 models as they were randomly stamped with the V.I.N. thoughout the model year with apparently no rhyme or reason.

Depending on who you talk to and how they view things in life, (weather the glass is 1/2 full or 1/2 empty,) they will argue as to the numbers matching engine and transmission on a 68 and older vehicle since it has no V.I.N. stamped on them. MY OPINION on this is that if the casting date of the engine and transmission proceeds the scheduled production date of the vehicle that they MATCH. After all who can DISPROVE that they are not the ORIGINALS.

You will notice that NONE of this references broadcast sheets as they were never intended to be purposely left in the vehicles and were certainly never intended to be use by the public for any I.D.ing purposes.

It also has nothing to do with identifing re-stamping done by others AFTER the vehicle LEFT the factory new. This is done more often than some people think and it is important to know since many people advertise cars that are matching numbers that in fact ARE, but NOT THE ORIGINAL ENGINE OR TRANSMISSION. They are not lying to anyone but it is something people need to know as they are two different things.

Last edited:
I found this info on a thread here and it might explain some things.

Here is a definition for MOPARS :

1. The first thing you want to check is the V.I.N. of the vehicle against the title or in some states the registration.

2. The second thing to check is the fender tag against the body codes.
A. For 1968 and older vehicles , the S.O. number is stamped on the body.
B. For 1969 and newer vehicles , the V.I.N. number is stamped on the body.

3. The next thing to check is the fender tag against the S.O. number or the V.I.N. in the "hidden numbers" locations on the body. You will find thes numbers in different loctations depending on the model year and body platform.
A. 1966-68 will have the S.O. number on the upper portion drivers side radiator core support.
B. 1966-67 MAY also have it on the drivers side rear body cross member that the bumper support bolts to.
C. 1968 will also have it stamped on the driver's side trunk opening lip under the weather stripping.
D. 1969 and newer vehicles will have the V.I.N. stamped on the driver's side upper portion of the radiator core support.
E. 1969 and newer B bodies also have it stamped on the driver's side trunk opening lip under the weather stripping.
F. 1970 E bodies will have it stamped on the driver's side cowl near the vent cover and will NOT have it on the driver's side trunk opening lip under the weather stripping.

4. The next item that is VERY important to numbers matching is the engine. For all 1967 and older engines (including low performance 1968 engines) you have to date the engine prior to the scheduled production date of the vehicle.
A. Small block engines (273-318-340-360) have the date stamped on the front of the below the driver's side cylinder head.
B. Big block B engines (383-400) have the date stamped on the front of the below the passenger's side cylinder head.
C. Big block RB engines have the (413-426-440) have the date stamped on the front of the block in front of the intake manifold ajacent to the distrbutor. This is true for all 1964-1967 Hemi engines.
D. Big block 426 RB engines have the date stamped on the oil pan rail at the rear flange under the starter. This is true for all 1968 383 & 440 engines.

For 1969 and newer engines (including 1968 high performance engines) a full or partial V.I.N. is stamped on the engine block.
E. 1968 HP engines are stamped on the top rear of the block near the oil sending unit.
F. 1969 and newer V8 engines are stamped on pad at the lower passenger side of the block above the oil pan.

Note: Early in the 1969 model year the complete 13 digit was stamped on the engine and transmission. mid year 1969 and later engines only the last 8 digits of the V.I.N. were stamped on the engine and transmission.

5. The next item that is important to numbers matching is the transmission.
For 1969 and newer engines (including high performance 1968 engines) a full of parial V.I.N. is stamped on the transmission case.
A. 1968 and newer manual transmissions are stamped on a raised pad on the passenger side of the case.
B. 1968 only automatic transmissions (high performance V8) are stamped on the top front of the case where it meets the engine.
C. 1969 and newer automatic transmissions are stamped on a raised pad on the passenger side front of the case.

6. The last item that relates to numbers matching is the door V.I.N. decal.
For 1970 and newer vehicles (including 1969 Daytonas) the door V.I.N. decal is on the driver's side door jamb.

The above definition comes from GGs white books.
It is pretty much word for word except that I left out his references to where to find this info in his other books, and I changed #3 as HIS info was referring to contacting him for matching V.I.N.s in HIS registry.

As you can see, It becomes more involved with more numbers to check the newer the car gets. It is also confusing for people because the "hidden numbers" are different depending on the year of the car as to the factories use of S.O. numbers and V.I.N. You will notice that there is no V.I.N. located on the engine or transmission for 1967 and older AND this also applies to 1968 models as they were randomly stamped with the V.I.N. thoughout the model year with apparently no rhyme or reason.

Depending on who you talk to and how they view things in life, (weather the glass is 1/2 full or 1/2 empty,) they will argue as to the numbers matching engine and transmission on a 68 and older vehicle since it has no V.I.N. stamped on them. MY OPINION on this is that if the casting date of the engine and transmission proceeds the scheduled production date of the vehicle that they MATCH. After all who can DISPROVE that they are not the ORIGINALS.

You will notice that NONE of this references broadcast sheets as they were never intended to be purposely left in the vehicles and were certainly never intended to be use by the public for any I.D.ing purposes.

It also has nothing to do with identifing re-stamping done by others AFTER the vehicle LEFT the factory new. This is done more often than some people think and it is important to know since many people advertise cars that are matching numbers that in fact ARE, but NOT THE ORIGINAL ENGINE OR TRANSMISSION. They are not lying to anyone but it is something people need to know as they are two different things.
Perfect! This is the answer I was really looking for. 100% agree.
Engine - I'll look for the date stamp on the passenger side of the block. If it's prior to 19 May 66 (for my car) I'll say it's original.

Transmission - nothing to look for.

The build sheet, VIN tag, IBM build card, and fender tag all lineup - was just looking for clarity on the engine and trans number info. Thanks @toolmanmike

Last edited:
Looks like it's pretty much been covered.

Nice car.

Great article, question if you have a body thats had extensive rust and panels and supports replaced and the only clue to the vin is the door jamb tag what does dmv use.

Dmv goes by the vin, which is on the tag, in the door jamb. Only place.

Auto Transport Service
Back