• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Satellite Gas tank parts list

RJS

Local time
4:04 PM
Reaction score
Just got my 66 Satellite and need to put in a new tank and want to make sure I order all that's needed. Car had a cell in it that I'm eliminating and going back to stock parts.

So I have to buy a tank and sender, hose kit from filler (looks kinda like a radiator hose and then two smaller hoses + clamps) a mat. J-bolt and strap.

All that's left in the car is the filler and vent tube so any other suggestions?

Thanks in Advance Ron

66Satellite51.JPG 66Satellite53.JPG

This hose kit is going to reach the tank or do I need another part?

s-l1600.jpg

Do I need this piece too??

fuelvent.jpg

There is at least three different suppliers of the hoses for the tank and the overflow to the various vendors. You will find a variety of reviews of issues with some of the hose kits.

The new tanks are slightly different than the assembly line tanks due to the smaller overflow tube. The original tanks used a grommet to seal the tube. The newer Spectra tanks has the tube soldered in place. The better quality hose kit includes this grommet, which you will not be needing.

The tank strap stud is a different profile unique to the 66-67 B-Bodies. It as finally been reproduced, thankfully.

As you mentioned, a new mat, tank, pad, sending unit, lock ring and ground strap will get you started. Either reuse an original OEM lock ring or search out one of the lock rings that we reproduce. The Spectra and other aftermarket lock rings are thinner and does not seal properly.

Yes, and there is a similar big one that goes between the large elbow and into the tank grommet.

I found a reproduction set on EBay that I just bought hope it all works out!

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks for bringing this up RJS. New tank in mine too, before I purchased, but nothing connecting to gas guage. Wiring diagram shows dark blue wire connection. I see that running on trunk floor through floor grommet. Does it connect to top of tank? Any way of knowing if it's connected w/o pulling tank out?

Thanks for bringing this up RJS. New tank in mine too, before I purchased, but nothing connecting to gas guage. Wiring diagram shows dark blue wire connection. I see that running on trunk floor through floor grommet. Does it connect to top of tank? Any way of knowing if it's connected w/o pulling tank out?
Connects to the post on the sending unit and can be seen from the bottom. Don't forget about the ground strap.

Along with the lock ring being weak and unusable, my repro tank, that I'm otherwise happy with, came with a rubber gasket/washer for the sending unit that deteriorated in about a year and started leaking.

I ended up using a toilet flush valve washer (red rubber) from Lowes.

That's been in for almost 5 years.

Have sending units quality improved?

I got lucky. Previous owner of my car put an nos sender in it. So my fuel gauge reads dead nuts accurate .

Last edited:
Wonder if you picked up a used OEM 5/16" pickup sender unit that works. Cut off the rheostat and grafted it onto a repo 3/8" pickup.

Wonder if you picked up a used OEM 5/16" pickup sender unit that works. Cut off the rheostat and grafted it onto a repo 3/8" pickup.

Ive heard that being done before.

Ive also read someone out there is rebuilding originals as well

Auto Transport Service
Back