• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 383 radiator?

The Crusher

Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
Okay, 67 gurus, I need some knowledge dropped on me. I have a 67 coronet, 383 / 2v. I believe I have a 22' radiator. I'm not showing the 26" on my fender tag. Question: all the reproduction radiators seem to be 26". Can I run a 26" without modification, i.e. will it be a drop in? will it mount up properly? is the core support the same? can I run a newer radiator as a direct drop in replacement?
upload_2022-5-19_13-13-29.jpeg

TYIA

Yes you can run a 26 inch radiator without modification to the core support. Glen Ray sells the brakets to mount the radiator. And it looks factory.

Looks factory except the 4" that isn't opened up.
I'd like to see this bracket that downsizes a 26 to a 22.

The core support is not the same. You can buy some look alike 22" radiators that will bolt in. I ordered a 26" radiator from Griffin with special hose locations by accident. I didn't measure the core support. I had to drill some new holes in the core support to center it up ,but it will work fine with my added AC. If you haven't spent money yet, get exactly what you need.
Resized_20210805_165033.jpeg
Resized_20210805_165041.jpeg

As @Aron Gleason said above, you can get a special bracket. No, it will not change the core support opening to 26". Direct airflow will cross 22" and there will still be some additional cooling effect by the covered 4". On the '67 383 2V cars, no a/c had 22" and a/c cars had 26".

I would get yours cleaned, try it. We have good results with re-coring them to a three row. One was done in 1993 and was driven to a TDC Meet in Aurora Mo in June. Another one was done years ago and is still good. Then everything looks factory.

I would get yours cleaned, try it. We have good results with re-coring them to a three row. One was done in 1993 and was driven to a TDC Meet in Aurora Mo in June. Another one was done years ago and is still good. Then everything looks factory.
I would, but I got quoted $900 and change. The hell with that! This is a driver, not a numbers matching, high dollar car. For that kinda money, I'll buy an aftermarket aluminum for 1/3 the price, thank you very much.

If I'm not mistaken the radiator that @Don67Satellite posted is like $229 and painted it's $279. You can paint it yourself for a whole lot less than $50. I have used several of these and they perform great.

As @Aron Gleason said above, you can get a special bracket. No, it will not change the core support opening to 26". Direct airflow will cross 22" and there will still be some additional cooling effect by the covered 4". On the '67 383 2V cars, no a/c had 22" and a/c cars had 26".
Thanks, but my question was, "Is the core support for a 26" different from a 22" core support." Is the hole for the radiator bigger on the 26"? Or, does the 22" have brackets or baffles that close the hole down? I'd go look myself but my car is in the shop waiting on a new radiator.

I had my trans rebuilt. I/we don't want to run any of the old metal shavings and crap through the new trans. The radiator is the original and needed to be replaced or re cored anyway.

Not identical to mine. The top hose nipple on mine is to the far passenger side, on mine (see post pic).

Yes, I was referring to mine.

You have the big block 22", my old one was the small block 22" as my car originally had a poly 318. So technically I got a replica of the "small block style" but it cools quite well so far for the 440. The only difference I see on these replicas, are where the top hose goes, internally they seem identical.

He has yours.

Thanks, but my question was, "Is the core support for a 26" different from a 22" core support." Is the hole for the radiator bigger on the 26"? Or, does the 22" have brackets or baffles that close the hole down? I'd go look myself but my car is in the shop waiting on a new radiator.

I had my trans rebuilt. I/we don't want to run any of the old metal shavings and crap through the new trans. The radiator is the original and needed to be replaced or re cored anyway.
The answer to your question is;
The 22" rad hole is 22".
The 26" rad hole is 26".
They didn't make 26" wide 22" rads.

Yes. The opening is larger, therefore the mounting points are different.

The answer to your question is;
The 22" rad hole is 22".
The 26" rad hole is 26".
They didn't make 26" wide 22" rads.
Thank you. That's what I thought, different core support for the bigger rad.

Yes, I was referring to mine.

You have the big block 22", my old one was the small block 22" as my car originally had a poly 318. So technically I got a replica of the "small block style" but it cools quite well so far for the 440. The only difference I see on these replicas, are where the top hose goes, internally they seem identical.

He has yours.
Yes, I have the BB 22". That's why my top hose nipple is at a different location. I'm sure it will work the same, just not look the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back