• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 727 kickdown band replacement

gtxno1

Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone can a kick down band be replaced in the car thanks

Band replacement, front or rear are a full rebuild. Why is the "kick down"/front band replacement needed?

I took my car out yesterday and lost 2nd gear in D or manual 2 according to the apply chart it would be the kick down band no I did not remove the pan just yet to look around I was assuming worst case and trying to cheat it is the beginning of the season and did not want to down the car I just started taking it out again lol

You need more diagnosis of the problem.
Is the band broken?
Did the strut fall out?
Or is the apply piston not working?
Is the valve body not actuating the apply piston?

There is more to it than replacing the band.

That is obvious like I said it was worst case scenario a full diag needs to be done but as we all know things like this do not end well at times so before I drop the pan for a full blown inspection just wanted to know if that could be done I did not want to tie the car up I wanted to keep cruising wanted to milk it till hibernation time

Try adjusting the band first. See if you can tighten it to spec (72" lbs) before you back it off to set it. If you can't feel it tighten you know what area the problem lies.

I lost reverse in my Roadrunner back in the day. I pulled the pan and the strut was laying in the bottom. I put it back in, snugged up the adjuster, backed it off a turn or so and put it back together.

I agree. Try adjusting the band before going any deeper.

I lost reverse in my Roadrunner back in the day. I pulled the pan and the strut was laying in the bottom. I put it back in, snugged up the adjuster, backed it off a turn or so and put it back together.

I lost reverse in my '70 Barracuda, moved in the forward gear. My buddy taught me how to rebuild a 727. The low/reverse band had melted in half. Rebuilt it & have been building 727's ever since.

I lost reverse in my '70 Barracuda, moved in the forward gear. My buddy taught me how to rebuild a 727. The low/reverse band had melted in half. Rebuilt it & have been building 727's ever since.
I haven't been in one for decades. When I was in tech school, we had a time test for transmission class. I beat the old record and held the new record for 8 years or so. You had to disassemble clear down to the the clutch plates and reassemble and the input shaft had to turn. Dang, it was back in 73 and I don't remember for sure how long but it was, but like 24 min. or so. Crazy! Now days someone would have recorded it on their phone.

An interesting educational approach. Not sure quick assembly time is what I would shoot for in my builds. But...

Be careful tightening the band. Back when first learning transmissions mine lost 2nd gear. I talked to a knowledgeable trans guy. He told me if the band was that far out of adjustment the material was probably worn excessively. I didn't listen. Tightened it up, worked great. Never had such a firm shift. Ha ha. Until a week later. 75 miles from home banged 2nd and the car skidded to a stop. It wouldn't even roll. Had to come back with a tow the next day. Took it apart. The band was down to the metal. It had welded itself to the drum. I guess the trans guy new his stuff after all. Thus began my trans journey 30+ years ago. Pull the pan and look carefully first.
Doug

I went out and adjusted the band this morning and for now it shifts fine but deep down inside I fear the band is worn I will drive it for the summer unless it fails prior to then once the hibernation time comes I will overhaul it with the red alto kit and install a shift kit as well thanks for the help everyone

An interesting educational approach. Not sure quick assembly time is what I would shoot for in my builds. But...
I wondered that myself. It really didn't prove much but it was fun. I have heard of engine disassembly contests as well.

Lucky dog! When the same thing happened to me, the band's strut support had broken off.

Curious, was that a flex band with the formed strut support?

It was the stock style, looked like this one but not as heavy-duty-

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

never seen a cast anchor break on a KD band, reverse yes. Put one in reverse going forward.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back