• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 B Body, New fuel filler elbow leak.. seepage thru it?

Big Bad Dad

Local time
6:47 PM
Reaction score
About a year or so ago, I found fuel on the floor under the rear of my 67 Coronet. The original fuel filler elbow had deteriorated and was leaking badly. It was so rotten, I could just about tear it off of the car by hand. I had a repro elbow that I had gotten several years ago, but had never changed it. So I installed the new elbow. Today, I was under the car, and see liquid pooling up like ready to drip from the new elbow. It actually felt oily. There was no indication that there was a leak from around the connections, and it looks like the fuel may actually be seeping through the rubber elbow itself. I am wondering if the repro part was made out of the wrong materials and the fuel was penetrating it. Has anybody else ever seen this issue, or heard of it happening?

DSC01715.JPG

I read somewhere that the latest repo stuff is poor quality. Think they mentioned getting a fuel resistant hose that has the elbow from maybe Gates and cut it. Also think Vitron rubber hose might work.
Someone on here will know for sure.

Probably repop junk. The rubber gasket on the flip top gas cap (GTX) rotted so badly i could pry chunks of it off.

The repop stuff isn't ethanol friendly.

I had an issue w a repop for my '67 about a yr ago. Measured the pipe diameter and got a Gates 90° hose rated for fuel and trimmed it to length. Used band clamps that are typically used on turbo boost hoses. No problems anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back