• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 belvedere axle interchange

dsd1967

Local time
12:13 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know the pad to pad and flange to flange on a 67 belvedere 8 3/4? Are they the same as a 68 - 69?

I have a dana 60 3:54 sure grip that came out of a 69 that I want to drop into my 67 belvedere and was wondering if there would be any issues.

I installed a 1969 dana into a 67 coronet and it was a direct bolt-in

I think it's something like 66 - 70 are the same.....

If you want me to get an exact measurement from a specific point to point, let me know. I'll probably be out in the garage tomorrow after work as long as I get out at a decent time...

My son and I did some quick measurements and it looks like the pad to pad measures the same, but we didn't get a good flange to flange measurement. It's a little difficult getting a good measurement when you have to go around the pumpkin area.

I thought I saw measurements on this site at one time for a lot of different body styles. I'll dig around some more and see what I come up with, but I think you are right that all 66-70 B bodies were the same.

ga66mopar confirms what I'm hoping. If it drops in, that will get me where I want to be for gears, gets me a sure grip and a little more strength as a bonus. Saves a little time and effort in searching for the 8 3/4 gears and sure grip unit too.

Thanks guys!

68-70 is just a bit longer than 66/67.

I think perches are the same, but drum to drum is longer by like 1.5 inches or so.

not a lot, but every 1/4" counts in those 66/67 rear wheelwells.

The extra width was one of my concerns that has a whole lot of thoughts going through my mind.

If I use this dana, I may have to buy special offset wheels...which leads to extra costs. However, I don't have wide enough wheels now, so this isn't too much of a setback.

If I eventually plan to mini tub the car, I hate to tear into an original Dana to relocate the perches and narrow it. However the mini tubbing has it's own setbacks, so I'm not set on that yet.

I also have another guy really interested in the dana for an original dana Super Bee...but that puts me back at finding a sure grip 8 3/4.

I really like the idea of a dana behind a 512 with a 4 speed, so I'll probably go with the unit and order up some custom offset wheels. If I ever mini tub the car, I'll either do an 8 3/4 or order a Moser unit and sell the original dana to someone who needs it for originality.

My son and I did some quick measurements and it looks like the pad to pad measures the same, but we didn't get a good flange to flange measurement. It's a little difficult getting a good measurement when you have to go around the pumpkin area.

I thought I saw measurements on this site at one time for a lot of different body styles. I'll dig around some more and see what I come up with, but I think you are right that all 66-70 B bodies were the same.

ga66mopar confirms what I'm hoping. If it drops in, that will get me where I want to be for gears, gets me a sure grip and a little more strength as a bonus. Saves a little time and effort in searching for the 8 3/4 gears and sure grip unit too.

Thanks guys!

You could run a plumb bob down from each end, mark the floor where it hits, and then measure between the marks. Gets you around measuring around the pumpkin.

I put a 8.75 rear (3.23) from a 69 Charger in my 67 Satellite. After refreshing all the bearing and axles seals, no problems and that was over 10 years ago.

8 3/4 axles 1962-1970 B-bodies track width 59.2" and perches 44".
A and C bodies are different tho.

I think 62-70 b-body 8 3/4 is 55" flange to flange and Dana's 66-70 are 54.936 flange to flange. spring perches are 44" on both. just my $ .02 John

The flange to flange measurement runs about 1/2" wider on the 68-70 rears vs the 66-67's and that will vary but the spring pads are pretty much the same on the 66-70. Tolerances on this stuff varies on the width but not so much on the spring pads. I've measured dozens of these. You might need a shorter drive shaft with the Dana...just depends on how long yours is now. Again, the tolerance varies and yes, Mom did screw some of this up on the assembly line. I've seen drive shafts that should have been longer with the 8 3/4. Keep in mind that you could probably get away with using a shaft made for the Dana if used with the 8 3/4 but not the other way around. Trial fit the shaft before using it.

8 3/4 axles 1962-1970 B-bodies track width 59.2" and perches 44".
A and C bodies are different tho.

Sorry but not true. All 62-70B are 44" perches but are several diiferent widths.
B BODY
'62-'63= 58 1/2" (And '64 Max Wedge)
'64 = 60 7/8" (Exc.Max Wedge)
'65-'67= 59 1/2"
'68-'70= 60 1/8"
'71-'74= 63"
'71-'73 wagon= 64 3/8"
I have all these rears except MW and have check this chart to be correct

Wow! You guys are wealth of knowledge. It looks like I'll have to do something about the driveshaft but the increased width doesn't look like it will hurt too bad. I'm probably looking at custom wheels to take addvantage of the available wheel tub space regardless, so I can compensate for any increased width at that time.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sorry but not true. All 62-70B are 44" perches but are several diiferent widths.
B BODY
'62-'63= 58 1/2" (And '64 Max Wedge)
'64 = 60 7/8" (Exc.Max Wedge)
'65-'67= 59 1/2"
'68-'70= 60 1/8"
'71-'74= 63"
'71-'73 wagon= 64 3/8"
I have all these rears except MW and have check this chart to be correct

I appologize then, my charts I was given long ago must b wrong. Sorry to confuse people.

Auto Transport Service
Back