• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Belvedere II Steering column touching headers

CjVan

Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
ok, I know im filling this forum up fast with more questions than answers, but i really appreciate the help thus far!

So my other problem is that a portion of my steering column that is in the engine bay is touching my aftermarket headers and in the morning it causes vibration. The peice of column touching the headers is about 6 inches down the column from the firewall.

It looks like a sleeve about 3 - 3 1/2" round, can it be removed?

Heres a picture of the problem.

552d1a71.jpg

IMO for whats it's worth. Looks like even if you took that part off it's still looking like it could hit from engine torking from getting on it.:edgy:

well I'm probably going to see about heating up the header pipe and moving it over 1/4" the other way.

do you guys think these headers were ment for a dodge truck??

I would take the header off, bend the pipe or take it to an exhaust shop to bend it over for you before I went modifying/changing steering components. You could move on to console shifter/linkage but couldn't tell ya if the modification there and at the column would give you enough space.

Good Luck CJ

That's a pretty close clearance, I would be surprised if those were designed for that specific truck.

Anyway, to use those headers your either going to have to dimple (more like dent) the **** out of that one tube OR take it to an exhaust shop and have it fixed. Kind of a shitty situation either way.

Auto Transport Service
Back