• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Belvedere Race Car; Unfinished Dirt Oval Car

racingdude24

Local time
3:03 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I posted about this in the welcome forum, but this will serve as the project record for the 1967 Belvedere race car I am restoring. So first, some background on the car:

This car was being built by my grandpa's cousin back in 1975 to be a sportsman car for their local dirt ovals in SE Wisconsin. At the time this car was being built he was racing a 67 Belvedere with a Norm Nelson built 340 in it. The car I have now was never finished, but my dad and all of his brothers have fond stories of helping build it and helping at the track with the race car. This car sat in a garage until my grandpa's cousin passed away in 2005. At that point my uncle pulled it out and put it in a storage building near his auto repair shop. It sat there until a few years ago when the storage building started collapsing and the car was rolled outside and wrapped up in tarps.

How I came into possession of it:

I've been asking about this car for years, wanting to restore it or at least get ahold of it to get it stored back indoors. This past August I was finally able to fulfill that wish as my uncle allowed me to take it. My dad and I spent a Saturday getting it rolling, which entailed putting correct torsion bars in it, finding some used 13" used tires, hooking up the steering, and of course clearing out a couple wasps nests :eek:. From there I loaded it up on trailer and filled the bed of the truck with any parts that went with it and towed it back to upstate New York. It's now living safely (and more importantly dry!) in my insulated and heated garage.

As it sits:

Right now the car is in the state it was left when work on it stopped. It had been totally stripped to just the body, floor pan, and frame rails; inner fenders, trunk pan and extensions, door guts, etc. are totally gone. Even the hood and trunk lid are just the skin with none of the factory bracing. It has the roll cage mostly built. The only area not totally finished is the rear section where the upper shock mounts need to be located, as well as bars to mount the seat and belts to, and a few other miscellaneous bits. It has a Ford 9" rear end that has had the sides evened up on it. The front suspension was based on the Chrysler kit car, so the upper A arms have been cut and welded to help with camber, there is a splined sway bar, and the shock mounts are beefed up and set up for tie rod end Monroe shocks. The front engine mounts have also been moved to center the engine. Speaking of engines, the car came with two 340 engines, unfortunately neither is the original Norm Nelson race engine.

Current state of the restoration:

Between August and now I had been focused on finishing a couple motorcycle restorations I had been working on previously in order to clear up my project slate, so I am really just getting started. I drove to Texas around Thanksgiving to pick up a clean 4 door 67 Belvedere that I intend to use as a donor. The race car is surprisingly solid for as long as it sat. The main rust areas are the quarter bottoms, rear bumper mounting area, last 14-16" of the rear frame rails, and a spot in the passenger side footwell. Everything else - from my preliminary judgement - is only surface rust. I was even able to climb in and sit on the floorboards (aside from the one bad spot) without any issue. I already know as I tear into it more I'm sure I'll find more rough areas though, so I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Some pictures to go with the above post...

The original race car and my inspiration/goal for the project:
Wally-Race-Car.jpg

As it sat beside the shop:
IMG_9294.JPG

IMG_9292.JPG

Loaded and ready for the journey home:
IMG_9311.JPG

As it sits in my garage:
IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_9427.JPG

Donor car still on the trailer after getting back from Texas:
IMG_9902.JPG

IMG_9901.JPG

Sounds like a cool project. Keep us posted..

Sounds like a neat project with some great family history. I'm looking forward to the build!

Neato!

20190909_105918.jpg
20190909_105948.jpg
Cool project! I got a stock car build in the works too. Are you going to build it to race,or drive on the street? My car is a 70 Charger R/T body on a circa 2005 Laughlin Nascar chassis,with a Daytona kit on it. I plan on building a 200 MPH Hemi powered Daytona stock car that I can drive on the street. I am a bit outside my wheelhouse with setting up a stock car. If you find yourself needing inspiration.there are a few good episodes of Roadkill where they put stock cars together and drive them on the streets!

Last edited:
Nice cool way to go, definitely right build for that car!

View attachment 1044290 View attachment 1044291 Cool project! I got a stock car build in the works too. Are you going to build it to race,or drive on the street? My car is a 70 Charger R/T body on a circa 2005 Laughlin Nascar chassis,with a Daytona kit on it. I plan on building a 200 MPH Hemi powered Daytona stock car that I can drive on the street. I am a bit outside my wheelhouse with setting up a stock car. If you find yourself needing inspiration.there are a few good episodes of Roadkill where they put stock cars together and drive them on the streets!
Very cool! My plan is to build it period correct to when it would have raced and have it as something I can show at local car shows or take to some vintage oval track events and make a few laps in it. It certainly wouldn't be raced regularly.

Auto Transport Service
Back