• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Blevedere fuel tank vent grommet issue

Local time
6:06 PM
Reaction score
So I have a 67 Belvedere and im trying to replace the old vent tube grommet.

Its a really tight fit with the line in place, im not sure its even possible to install that way. It looks like the easiest way to get the grommet in there is to take the vent line out, put the grommet in, and then put the vent line back in.

Well the problem is I dont know how the line is mounted in the tank, and I dont want to just start yanking on it. I cant fit a socket on there to try and press fit it in there

Interestingly enough, all the aftermarket tanks seem to have the vent line fixed in place.

Anyone have a solution here

20240521_152429.jpg

20240521_152433.jpg

20240521_152446.jpg

Yes, the vent line has to come out. Then install the grommet. Lubricant the grommet and the vent line and reinstall the vent line. Easier said than done, but it's the only way I have accomplished this.

Yes, the vent line has to come out. Then install the grommet. Lubricant the grommet and the vent line and reinstall the vent line. Easier said than done, but it's the only way I have accomplished this.
Yeah thats what I figured. Whats it mounted to in the tank? Cant get a good view of the top of the tank inside. It wobbles around a bit, do i just give it a strong tug? Then what do i reattach it to?

How does that vent line come out, isn't it mounted or secured inside the tank?

The one original tank that I worked on, the vent line wasn't attached to anything inside the tank.

There are 4 spot welds on top that hold 2 straps. Drill the spot welds. After changing grommet fish some copper wire to hold tube in place solder wire and holes shut. I don't know about using a torch! A member said he was able to do it with out removing the tube, good luck!

The tube goes forward nearly to front of tank 90* turn and a foot or so to passengers side.

There are 4 spot welds on top that hold 2 straps. Drill the spot welds. After changing grommet fish some copper wire to hold tube in place solder wire and holes shut. I don't know about using a torch! A member said he was able to do it with out removing the tube, good luck!
I guess they werent planning on having anyone replace that grommet when they put it in there. I see why all the aftermarket tanks are fixed in place now

Thanks

A good radiator shop could make apiece to take up some of the space, make a brass or steel donut solder it up.

Auto Transport Service
Back