• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Coronet 440...gets a 440?

Welp, I knew going bigger was going to be a risk. Cooper Cobra 275/60/15 and Wheel Vintiques 15x8 4.5bs officially do NOT fit a 67 Coronet without modifications. I was able to get them on there by moving the rear end up and down but they pinch on the wheel flare where it bows out slightly. I'll probably trim that as I think it would look better without it. I'm a little concerned the wheels stand off from the drums more than the stock steelies. Probably enough to make the pinching difference. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Try 255/70, mod the wells, or look at grinding the back face of the wheels down some.

20190202_173137.jpg 20190202_173203.jpg 20190202_175504.jpg 20190202_175521.jpg 20190202_175634.jpg

Welp, I knew going bigger was going to be a risk. Cooper Cobra 275/60/15 and Wheel Vintiques 15x8 4.5bs officially do NOT fit a 67 Coronet without modifications. I was able to get them on there by moving the rear end up and down but they pinch on the wheel flare where it bows out slightly. I'll probably trim that as I think it would look better without it. I'm a little concerned the wheels stand off from the drums more than the stock steelies. Probably enough to make the pinching difference. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Try 255/70, mod the wells, or look at grinding the back face of the wheels down some.

View attachment 714701 View attachment 714702 View attachment 714703 View attachment 714705 View attachment 714706
Well crap, sorry they didn't fit but thanks for posting the pics.

Well crap, sorry they didn't fit but thanks for posting the pics.
Sure thing. I think I'll be making them work. I've read about several who trim that whole part of the well lip back to the trim piece. This makes sense to me. I'll take a closer look tomorrow and document. I'm definitely guessing the upper part of the inner well will need some love too.

Sure thing. I think I'll be making them work. I've read about several who trim that whole part of the well lip back to the trim piece. This makes sense to me. I'll take a closer look tomorrow and document. I'm definitely guessing the upper part of the inner well will need some love too.

Not trying to tell you how to do it, But........... I would clip that lip straight back to the body every 4 inchs and just fold/dolly it flat to the inside. I will help keep that edge stiff.

Crap wish I would’ve seen this, I had 15x8 with 5.5 backspace and a 28x10.5 tire and it would only rub on hard turns. Currently have 15x7 with 4.5 with 275/60/15 and it clears with about an inch or so left over.

19CB2D6C-AD12-43CA-B0AA-B0CE477F4E82.jpeg 7879C1A7-4C10-4AA7-B1E6-5EF316A9ED1F.jpeg 3B0B2F0F-2D67-4E8C-8CF4-3EEA85EAC01C.jpeg 86030041-9D37-4293-A5AA-89DEDB8DF170.jpeg E50B4B9C-1B6D-429F-8047-C1DF6F26AB1F.jpeg

Crap wish I would’ve seen this, I had 15x8 with 5.5 backspace and a 28x10.5 tire and it would only rub on hard turns. Currently have 15x7 with 4.5 with 275/60/15 and it clears with about an inch or so left over.
Nice ride! I think there's still some variability between cars. And probably these wheels. I wanted steelies, but also didn't want to wait for custom width/backspacing. Couldn't easily find Ramcharger steels. I think I'll be folding up the lip with a heat gun and rubber mallet. Not like I have paint to ruin. I'm still thinking the inner well won't fit either though

Not trying to tell you how to do it, But........... I would clip that lip straight back to the body every 4 inchs and just fold/dolly it flat to the inside. I will help keep that edge stiff.
Yep, agreed. Will trim, heat it, and fold carefully and seal it with some rtv or something. I dabbled in blacksmithing, so I'm no stranger to moving metal

looking great. Good work. My 727 is torn down right now for the exact same reason, long output shaft and tail housing. 440 is on the stand.

looking great. Good work. My 727 is torn down right now for the exact same reason, long output shaft and tail housing. 440 is on the stand.

Thanks! Thankfully I've got a clean tail housing from the small block one on the car. Apparently I need a 76+ long output shaft. I've seen a couple but have a couple more things to do before I get over my automatiphobia hah

I actually just bought a whole trans for $75 bucks the other day, in order to get the shaft and housing. Turned out to be a real score as it had 4 pack clutches and a hardened input shaft and 4 pinion planetaries too. rebuilt kit should be here tomorrow along with a 3.8 band lever. Both trans had also had the separator plates drilled for shift kits.

I went ahead and tubbed the Express and relocated the leaf springs under the frame rails. Gave me 15" of width under there...

I actually just bought a whole trans for $75 bucks the other day, in order to get the shaft and housing. Turned out to be a real score as it had 4 pack clutches and a hardened input shaft and 4 pinion planetaries too. rebuilt kit should be here tomorrow along with a 3.8 band lever. Both trans had also had the separator plates drilled for shift kits.

Nice, that's a deal. The ebay shafts I've seen are alone more than that. I think the RV trans I have may have some of the heavy stuff. The block has the cast crank serial. Hoping 6 pack rods too. I'm thinking more and more about aluminum heads and closer to deck pistons

Nice, that's a deal. The ebay shafts I've seen are alone more than that. I think the RV trans I have may have some of the heavy stuff. The block has the cast crank serial. Hoping 6 pack rods too. I'm thinking more and more about aluminum heads and closer to deck pistons
I had a MH 440 a while ago that had the heavy duty parts you mentioned. I had the steel crank, double timing chain, big heavy rods. I opted to NOT use the heavy rods as they add weight to the spinning assembly. I did save the double chain, and the steel crank though. If you search for IQ52 on here you will find a thread about building the MH 440 for big HP. Use it as a bible. The tail shaft and housing from your SMB will work fine as long as they are within the same year bracket as the trans from the MH. The shafts are the same from 1966-1975. The difference between your BB and SMB trans is the bell housing.

727 OUtput shafts.jpg
0124191258b.jpg

I had a MH 440 a while ago that had the heavy duty parts you mentioned. I had the steel crank, double timing chain, big heavy rods. I opted to NOT use the heavy rods as they add weight to the spinning assembly. I did save the double chain, and the steel crank though. If you search for IQ52 on here you will find a thread about building the MH 440 for big HP. Use it as a bible. The tail shaft and housing from your SMB will work fine as long as they are within the same year bracket as the trans from the MH. The shafts are the same from 1966-1975. The difference between your BB and SMB trans is the bell housing.
Do you mean the tailhousing is different from 76+? I didn't see anything that mentioned that. Thought the main difference was the spline angle for the front planetaries. The SB is original 67 but the MH is a 76. But yeah, that makes sense for heavy rotating mass. I'm only wanting 450-500hp that's 87 friendly though. Not planning on changing manual steering or brakes and don't have a desth wish lol

Do you mean the tailhousing is different from 76+? I didn't see anything that mentioned that. Thought the main difference was the spline angle for the front planetaries. The SB is original 67 but the MH is a 76. But yeah, that makes sense for heavy rotating mass. I'm only wanting 450-500hp that's 87 friendly though. Not planning on changing manual steering or brakes and don't have a desth wish lol
As you can see in the above pic the shaft is different in 76. the tail housing is okay.

Was able to stuff 255/70 Cooper Cobras under on the Wheel Vintiques. I have two Draglites 15x8 5.5bs on order though. That will get them centered in the wheel well. Guess I'll have the Wheel Vintiques for sale, haven't gone a mile on em

20190215_133520.jpg

Thanks for not cutting or rolling those nice quarter panels!

I was going to say I've had 225 15 on factory 15x7 with no problem (unless you call the juggle to get them in a "problem") and I'm pretty sure 235 would fit.

Thanks for not cutting or rolling those nice quarter panels!

I was going to say I've had 225 15 on factory 15x7 with no problem (unless you call the juggle to get them in a "problem") and I'm pretty sure 235 would fit.

I'm confident the 255 will be fine once the draglites move the wheel closer in to the springs. The back half of the well is almost perfectly above the outside edge of the leafs on both sides. On driver side I had about 1.5" of space to the leaf and about 1.25" on passenger. With an extra inch of backspace, they'll actually be further in than out, so I may actually center them with spacers. Better to have too much spacing than not enough though. But I think there's enough well for a 255. 275 I don't think so.

Auto Transport Service
Back