• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 coronet; allignment and torsion bars and specs

If it won't hold the alignment specs I'd be looking for a bad lower control arm bushing or strut rod bushing. When you say it won't hold the specs is that on both sides?

I aligned my hotrod with the k-member jacked up 1", 1/16" tow in, -.5 degree camber and 5.5 degree positive caster. I was able to get the 5.5 positive caster thanks to aftermarket upper control arms and adjustable strut rods. The car drives pretty nice for having 3.5" wide front wheels. PS I did all of this in my garage with a longacre caster/camber gauge toe plates and a measuring tape. The first five alignments I had double checked by the local alignment shop and they were always spot on. After that I quit wasting their time. Let us know what you find.

i my opinon you can´t do the alignment job with the K member jacked up. the car has to stand on all 4 wheels...

@ Blown 67 Coronet : I would assume that your LCA busings are Shot... These bushings are very " delicate"...because If you for example try to lower or raise the car with the tB adjuster srews.. you MUST loosen the Nuts that hold the LCA in place !! Not loosen
the nuts will destroy the bushing... ( they break loose inside ) these bushings only tolerate a small anmount of travel ...of the suspension up /down....

The reason for raising the car 1" by jacking under the k-frame is to simulate the ride height under acceleration. I should have been more clear.

i my opinon you can´t do the alignment job with the K member jacked up. the car has to stand on all 4 wheels...

@ Blown 67 Coronet : I would assume that your LCA busings are Shot... These bushings are very " delicate"...because If you for example try to lower or raise the car with the tB adjuster srews.. you MUST loosen the Nuts that hold the LCA in place !! Not loosen
the nuts will destroy the bushing... ( they break loose inside ) these bushings only tolerate a small anmount of travel ...of the suspension up /down....

...so you have a Drag Racer ? simulating the "accel mode " is fine...but sometimes you only want to drive...straight ahead... so for the "street use " this set up will not be the right one, I think.

Greetings Juergen

Get a service manual. Most people these days have no idea how to align a older Mopar. Too much into their damn computer world.

The manual shows how to check for worn parts, what order the alignment steps are done, and how to do it all.

...so you have a Drag Racer ? simulating the "accel mode " is fine...but sometimes you only want to drive...straight ahead... so for the "street use " this set up will not be the right one, I think.

Greetings Juergen

I have FIVE running and driving cars that say you are wrong...and the OP has a car with a super charger. What is your direct experience aligning the front suspension on these cars?

my experience is about 34 years ... of working as a mechanic. I did a lot of alignments in my life.... didn´t count them, All of my former and current US Cars... 72 Corvette, 68 Mustang / 69 Mustang / 75 Firebird 66 Coronet ( these are the "Older ones ) and also the newer ones... 90 Mustang /93 Mustang / 95 Mustang 85 Corvette 86 Corvette 92 Corvette

All the cars were aligned in the same way.... but I never never heard or read about "lifting" a car .... and then doing the alignmentjob..
because the geometry of the front end changes .... if your are jacking the car up....The car has to sit on his 4 wheels while making the alignment.

Greetings Juergen

Last edited:
I have FIVE running and driving cars that say you are wrong...and the OP has a car with a super charger. What is your direct experience aligning the front suspension on these cars?
You're driving 3.5" wheels for all-around street/road driving ? What is the alignment measures when the k-frame is not lifted ?

Auto Transport Service
Back