• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 coronet turn signal cancel cam

Loubo40

Local time
11:23 AM
Reaction score
There is plenty of info on the plastic turn signal cancel cams that seem to break pretty often. What I cannot seem to find is the cam itself that mounts under the steering wheel the actually hits the plastic cam to release it. It seems to be the same part number across almost all of the models in the 66-67 model year.

In the exploded views it looks like a round metal spring wire that fits around the steering shaft with a bend downward that hits the plastic cam.

the part number is 8-50-126 and is simply labeled cam.

does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, and where I can get one.

does anyone know what i'm talking about? what hits the cam to turn off the turn signal?

sure--its welded on the steering wheel--flip your wheel over & its just a round piece of steel that wraps half way around the steering wheel & then is bent 90 degrees down--that is what trips the cancel cam

That's the way it is on my 67 Coronet....
sure--its welded on the steering wheel--flip your wheel over & its just a round piece of steel that wraps half way around the steering wheel & then is bent 90 degrees down--that is what trips the cancel cam

Mine does not have that. The horn piece with the wire sits right under the wheel.

Maybe a picture of the cam in the steering column and the underside of your steering wheel would help....

i will take one later today for sure, im thinking the cam was removed to replace the horn contact ring or something. from the pictures ive seen it looks like this cam thing holds the horn contact ring in place. it almost looks like its a piece of spring steel and is tension fit around the steering wheel hub, but from what you all have said is welded in place.

is it just a tack weld, because i see no signs of mine being cut or ground off...weird.

being on the subject of putting the steering column back together, i notice that there is a sort of key in the steering wheel that must align with the area of the shaft with no splines. if id do this the steering wheel is upside down. I checked the steering box to see if it is centered and i get 1 3/4 turns each way, so i seems to be.
is it possible that the steering column is installed 180 degrees out?

I ended up making the piece for the steering wheel. I used a 20d nail and bent it around a 1" pipe. it stays in place by tension on the taper, and serves two purposes. it holds down the horn contact ring and cancels the directional.

now about the steering wheel being out 180, i haven't checked yet to see if the steering coupler is on the steering box properly with the spline aligned, but im sure it is unless someone hammered it on. is it possible that the coupler is assembled wrong by 180 degrees? it looks like it can go together that way.

Auto Transport Service
Back