• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Dodge Coronet fuel tank identification

MGN

Local time
5:57 PM
Reaction score
I have a 67 Dodge Coronet purchased off Ebay. It has a fuel tank that appears to be the exact fit but the tank has a vent tube at the top right corner. The Shop manual does not show any such vent on that year's tanks. I suspect it is off of a later years model Coronet or an aftermarket tank. Does anyone know what year Dodge first started using a vent tube ( 1968, 69, 70, etc. and would it fit a 67 model care) and where does the vent go? to a canister or directly to the carburetor base?

Vent tubes are a part of '66 and '67 B-body tanks. My '66 Dodge FSM shows clearly the entire tube assembly for both the filler and the vent. The filler vent tube goes up alongside the filler tube. This was before they vented to the engine compartment by at least four years. As you are looking at the rear of the car, the '66 - '67 vent tube will be on the left rear of the tank, coming out of a (roughly) one-inch diameter hole.

The '68 - '70 is a different critter and will NOT swap out to a '66 or '67 car, anyway.

Patrick: I tried to reply previously but somehow lost the message box in the process half way through. I was explaining in that message, if you receive it, that the tube I was describing is not the vent tube that runs parallel with the filler tube. Rather, facing the tank from the front of the car, the tube is about an 1 1/2" long and is on the upper right side of the tank. The previous owner just put a short hose with a bolt screwed in the end of it to plug it up. I would think that plugging it in this way would not cause any harm but I now find when I fill the tank, I have a leak, not from the plugged line but un-located elsewhere. I'm just tying to eliminate possibilities as the cause of the leak and thought maybe the plugged line might be causing too much pressure in the tank. If I unplug the line what do I do with the vent line. I'm familiar with the early 70's canister system, but I have also been advised that you can simply route the line to the base of the carburetor which is an easier fix. Am I safe in running a hose from the tank vent directly to a vacuum port in the carburetor base?

Pictures speak 000 words if you have them.

Here are pictures of my replacment tank. Notice the fill hole and the tube above it. This tube is the vent tube. The only other hole is for the sending unit.

IMG_0942.jpgIMG_0943.jpg

My tank is identical, except it has a second vent tube on the upper right, same side as the sending unit, opposite the vent tube shown in the picture. Im calling it a vent tube only because I don't know what else it may be for. Perhaps I should label it a purge tube, etc. so not to confuse. My problem with the tank is that I have a leak, when full, and do not see any cracks or where it is leaking from. Thought the plugged up vent tube may be the problem. By the way where did you get your new tank and what's the price?

Auto Transport Service
Back