• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 gas tank issues

MoparBill

Local time
12:25 PM
Reaction score
I put a new repop gas tank in my 67 Coronet, new repop grommet, and clean original filler tube. It leaked around the grommet terribly.
Thinking it was a foreign grommet problem, I bought a Steele rubber grommet.. it fit tightly around the filler tube, but it is very loose in the tank opening. I figured it might swell when I put it together, so I tried it. It leaks like a pig.
Now I'm thinking the tank opening is too big....
Does anyone have any experience with this? If I need to replace the tank, whe makes a good quality tank? The one I have is Spectra....

The tanks I have been using came from Van's auto, as well as these tank grommets.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-66-6...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
It's the double seal grommet not the single seal one as stock. You also have to make sure your filler tube is in correctly bolts up to its mount. There needs to be no binding at the tank grommet. There is limited adjustment with the tank. Just make sure nothing looks cocked or misaligned. Hope this helps.

Thank you.

That is the first grommet I used, the second is from Steele. The filler tube has been perfectly aligned, and the mounting tab lined right up... in fact it all went too easily... the grommets are both loose in the tank opening.

Thank you.

That is the first grommet I used, the second is from Steele. The filler tube has been perfectly aligned, and the mounting tab lined right up... in fact it all went too easily... the grommets are both loose in the tank opening.
Something is wrong, I always have to white lube or WD-40 the grommet and/or filler tube to get it to slide in. The CR-14 66-67 tank from Van's Auto is about the most inexpensive reproduction tank you can buy.

i installed one and grommet was real tight almost impossible to get onto my 67 sonething is wrong call spectra and get dinensions for opening and measure with caliper

Auto Transport Service
Back