• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'67 GTX Flip Top Gas Cap Seal Problems

Bob Lynch

Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
Hello:
Check out the PIC's of my new Gas Cap Seals.
This is the seal behind the flip top gas cap, and just under the sheet metal bracket for the fill tube.
Going to be on my 3rd Gas Cap Seal now.
Bought one from 2 different places, and both cracked in half, disintegrated with pieces falling off after 2 weeks on the car.
Is anyone else having trouble with these seals cracking and pieces falling off?
Looks like the material used to make the current seals is hard plastic, not pliable / flexible rubber like my original one, and the new plastic seal is not petroleum or gas resistant.

Resized_20240224_114346_1815309490902769.jpeg
Resized_20240118_074701_1816165108227391.jpeg

I've recently used a reproduction one as well (about 4 months ago) Seems to be holding up. Haven't really looked at it though.
How did you find out yours was deteriorating? Cap leaking?

I've recently used a reproduction one as well (about 4 months ago) Seems to be holding up. Haven't really looked at it though.
How did you find out yours was deteriorating? Cap leaking?
Yes, leaked bad when I was filling the tank, in between the cover and down the side of the quarter panel.
I looked at the seal and noticed it was cracked in half again, and little pieces stuck around the bracket.
2nd time this has happened to me.

Keep an eye on your seal, if it's like mine, they are not petroleum resistant.

I got in touch with the place I bought it from yesterday.
They are contacting the manufacturer and he'll get back to me, I'll post his response when I get it.
FYI: Supplier said I was the second person on Monday that told him about the problem.
These hard plastic seals are no good everyone, try and find a "rubber one" if they're out there.

Mine is old and hard but not broken up yet. I need to replace it so I’ll be watching to see what you find out. But isn’t the seal gasket on the flip lid the primary seal to the filler tube? Or does it just clamp down on the bezel flange?

I just rebuilt my 67GTX gas flip top, gas tank, fuel lines etc. purchased kit from Dantes mopar parts..

1709046248368.png

1709046280778.png

don't forget this gasket goes on filler neck to to body panel inside trunk.
1709047101884.png

Last edited:
I want to say mine came from Megaparts and has held up well.

Mine is old and hard but not broken up yet. I need to replace it so I’ll be watching to see what you find out. But isn’t the seal gasket on the flip lid the primary seal to the filler tube? Or does it just clamp down on the bezel flange?
Yes, the flip lid has the thin rubber gasket that seals on the entrance to the fill tube, spring loaded.
The seal that's cracking is the large one under the flip top, mounts under the
sheet metal bracket and around the fill tube and the Bezel seals against it too.
PIC is my old rubber seal that I want to replace, has hairline cracks, but it's rubber, not plastic.

Resized_20240203_101649_1823942998013174.jpeg

I got my kit from Mike Ross at B/E & A Parts. Seemed to be pretty pliable at the time (October of last year)

I believe PG Classics sells the trimming separately

Megaparts sold their stuff separately as well.

Been a few years, though.

Auto Transport Service
Back