• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX - Were hood scoop mount holes factory punched or drilled?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
I removed one of my hood scoops to get it color matched for some touch up paint and noted that the mount holes appear drilled as they have sharp edges and small barbs on the outer surface. Certainly not punched so I’m wondering if it’s the original hood or a retro-fitted Satellite/Belvedere hood. I know the prior owner replaced the right front fender but I don’t recall him saying anything about the hood. No sign its ever been any color but white but then neither does the fender.

IMG_1319.jpeg

Stands to reason that they were drilled. All 67 B body hoods started the same. The understructure was changed in 67 to accommodate the locations for hood scoops. So my opinion is that a hood for a GTX, at some point in assembly was drilled for scoops with some kind of template. To me it would have been an extra process in production to punch the hood skin, before bonding it to the understructure and not cost effective.

Jerry, that’s kind of what I was mulling over in my mind - that volume probably wasn’t enough to have the supplier set up a separate station to punch them out. It’s kind of complicated too by the inner frame needing to be drilled/punched out too for some studs. If punched, I think the frame would have had to be set in some sort of buck for the holes in the ribs to be punched before the hood skin was attached. It probably was a pain for whoever had to do it.

I separated one to clean it up and cannot recall any burrs or rough edges; I usually notice these things......... a good employee at the plant would likely de-burr them if drilled......

and would they be punched/drilled before or after attaching to the frame?

if drilled, I would assume after the fact........ also, drilling holes usually creates a crater around the hole, from pushing too hard with a dull bit; I definitely didn't encounter that

I'm sure in the 70's and later when hoods needed to be replaced; body shops would just drill a stock hood

Last edited:
One thing we have to realize is that cost was a factor in everything to mass produce these vehicles. The 67 Satellite that I bought new was $2995.00 out the door in 67. That included tax and registration fees.
383 extra cost
4-speed standard
Sure grip extra cost
Light package extra cost
Tachometer extra cost
Remote control mirror extra cost
AM radio extra cost
Rear speaker extra cost
Bucket seats, & console standard.
I don't remember what the sticker price was, but probably $32-$34 hundred. We can't even restore an interior for that amount today. I fully understand that dollar values have changed with time, but things have really gotten out of hand lately. Obviously every cent counted then.

I went out and took a closer look and laid the edge of a pop cycle stick across several of the holes and they were all perfectly flat as long as I avoided any raised burrs. They sort of look like they may have been center-drilled (a guess) and then enlarged with maybe a tapered ream or grinder burr. Most of the holes have a raised burr edge on both top and bottom surfaces. Drill bits will do that too though at times, but it might explain how they managed to do it without distorting the surface from drill pressure.

One thing we have to realize is that cost was a factor in everything to mass produce these vehicles. The 67 Satellite that I bought new was $2995.00 out the door in 67. That included tax and registration fees.
383 extra cost
4-speed standard
Sure grip extra cost
Light package extra cost
Tachometer extra cost
Remote control mirror extra cost
AM radio extra cost
Rear speaker extra cost
Bucket seats, & console standard.
I don't remember what the sticker price was, but probably $32-$34 hundred. We can't even restore an interior for that amount today. I fully understand that dollar values have changed with time, but things have really gotten out of hand lately. Obviously every cent counted then.
That sounds like a nice car. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back