• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Satellite oil pan clearance

Lite-em67

Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
Greetings..I am new to this site, and I need some help please. I have purchased a 67 Sat. It is bone stock, and has the original 273. I am not smart enough to build my own motor, so I have one of the local gurus building a 440 stroker (493). Just for the record, it has an Eagle rotating assembly, with Chevy rod journals (I know, I know....).Ported Edelbrock heads, 1.6 Hughes rockers, custom grind Comp flat tappet cam, I think the lift is 584 intake with 600 exhaust. The builder has done the oil system lovin', which includes the upgrade to a 1/2 inch pick-up, and it is getting a girdle.
This motor has been eight months in the making, but it is now a short block.
This will be a street driven car, with some frequent trips to the local track.
Trying to master both worlds is a challenge, but I'm going to give it a shot.
Here's where the help comes in...
It has been suggested that this motor will have enough torque for me to go with a single plane intake. I am looking at the Victor. Suggestions?
#2--Looking at various sites, I am leaning to the Holley 950 HP (Street version), which has plumbing for pcv ect. It is a power brake car, but I am not sure if there will be sufficient vacuum. Suggestions?
#3--I purchased a deep sump oil pan from 440 Source.A mopar guy dropped my builder's shop and told him that the oil pan will need to have some work done to clear various parts. Will this pan fit into a 67 Sat as is?
If anyone is still awake after this discourse, I would appreciate any input!

Manifold: I think the advice you've recieved is probobly correct. You'll have plenty of midrange grunt with the 493, I'd look to an M1 or the Victor. I run an Eddy RPM on a 451, mostly because I want a stealthy stock look of the dual plane.

Carb: Again, you're pretty spot on. a 950 might be on the big side for street use, but you'll get every last bit of RPM out of it at the track. Lets face it, this motor is on the ragged edge of "streetable" anyway. So you might as well lean towards the strip goals with the carb too.

Pan: I run a 440-source pan (the stamped one) in my 67 Satellite with a low-deck BB. No issues at all. Originally put it in with the motor in the car!

Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on things. Hope you've got some subframe connectors in the car. It should be a beast!, IF you can get it to hook up, you will likely be looking at mid-low 11's with the right gearing. You know what that means...... start putting a roll-bar plan together!

Hi, sounds like a good setup. I like the Victor and a 950 0r 1000 hp series should work fine. I do not know about the oil pan issue for a 67 but i think you have got an answer. Like the last guy said tie the frame at the very minumum. What else is done to the car? cal tracs or 4 link,what gears? Let the forum know how you make out. Good Luck

Thank you for the input...I made the decision prior to the replies to go with the Performer RPM intake. I think it would work well with a Victor, but it is an easy switch down the road. That does ease my mind about the oil pan. I purchased the oil pick-up from 440 source. They warned me that people often broke them while bending them into position....and my builder indeed broke it! I prefer not to bag on anyone's products, just passing on my experience. I have purchased other parts from them that have worked well. The intake is being port matched, so hopefully I won't leave too much on the table. The other addition in the last week was an ATI dampener.
I think I will go with the 950, and an AL2 box.

The car is still the way I bought it...bone stock. The winters are quite cold in the Salt Lake area, so my motivation to work in a cold garage has been lacking. Many of the local Mopar racers use the Cal-Tracs with a mono leaf, so I am leaning in that direction.
I am also leaning toward a spool, as there are not a lot of the clutch type sure grips floating around these days. I am looking at 373 gears, in keeping with the jack of all trades approach. Connectors are on the list. In speaking with the local chassis guy, he doesn't like the generic connectors, and prefers to make his own, but again, I am open for suggestions. Our local track went to IHRA last year, and I think the limit is 11:50 for a bar or cage. I am planning on keeping the air conditioning in the car....it gets hot at the track!

It sounds like you have a nice thought out combo. :yes: The Performer RPM is a very good intake as it gives great low end and pulls up top like a single plane. My son runs the RPM intake on his 400 Dart. It has un 11.40's @ 117 using that intake and a 750 DP. The Holley Street Dominator is also a very good intake for a mild 440 street/strip car. I use the Holley SD intake on the 440 in my 63 with an 850 DP. It has good low end for a single plane and very good top end. On your killer stroker I would not hesitate to run the RPM , Holley SD , M1 or the Victor as they would all work good on your combo. As for oil pans I use the Moroso 8 qt pan and you can see it has plenty of clearence with the ground as I have never even scraped the pan at all.
I use the MP .557 cam in my 63 with an 850 DP and it works nice for me. Your combo with the 950 and your cam sounds like it will work real good. Good luck , Ron

cecilburnout.jpg

I am also leaning toward a spool, as there are not a lot of the clutch type sure grips floating around these days. I am looking at 373 gears, in keeping with the jack of all trades approach. Connectors are on the list. In speaking with the local chassis guy, he doesn't like the generic connectors, and prefers to make his own, but again, I am open for suggestions. Our local track went to IHRA last year, and I think the limit is 11:50 for a bar or cage. I am planning on keeping the air conditioning in the car....it gets hot at the track!

A spool would not be a good idea if you are planning on driving it on the street.
great combo your building
IMO

Thanks again for everyone's input. That is a beautiful car. Thus far my efforts to port photos have proved futile, but here I go again....Marks_493_small_(1).jpg

Marks_493_small_(5).jpg

Marks_493_small_(7).jpg

Marks_493_small_(12).jpg

Marks_493_small_(10).jpg

Marks_493_small_(1).jpg

Marks_493_small_(5).jpg

Marks_493_small_(7).jpg

Marks_493_small_(12).jpg

Marks_493_small_(10).jpg

Nice images1
With that type windage tray I've taken a screwdriver and opened up those louvers a little more from better oil flow {return} to the pan. :sSig_goodjob:

That is one clean shop!
The engine looks great so far. Is that gray paint or some kind of primer on the block?

Yes, you can pretty much eat off of this floor. The builder's name is Steve Flatt in Lindon Utah. His most competitive customer is Ed Olpin who competes in Super Comp. I think he went to the finals at the winter nationals this year, and lost a fuel pump. He also built the Hemi in the 34 Ford that made it into the final eight of the riddler competition in Detroit last week. I would share the horsepower on the Hemi, but most would call BS....let's just say it made some big ponies! He does great work, but you get what you pay for, and he aint cheap! I did just go with the gray paint. I've had my share of orange motors, so I decided to go a different route on this one. We bolted the heads on yesterday, all that is left is the final port work on the intake. Should go to the dyno in a few weeks...

Auto Transport Service
Back