• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68-70 2984487 Oil Pressure Gauge

smithchargers

Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have any knowledge of this gauge for 68-70 B bodies with standard cluster? I just purchased an NOS one and cannot find a wiring diagram in any of the literature. I was wondering if it gets the standard 5v supply from the voltage limiter like the standard gauges or if it gets a 12v supply since its an optional gauge? Any help would be much appreciated.

Mopar-NOS-1968-70-Ply-Belvedere-Dodge-Coronet-Cop-_57.jpg

gauges requires the sender change, and yes, still needs the VL signal.

If you want to keep the light along with the gauge, will need to install the sender on the other block provision and wire it individually straight to the gauge ( or use a T or Y pipe conector to use both senders )

Maybe the FSM provides the wiring information, but if not, is not hard to do... Just get the VL source from the gas/temp gauge common source ( with eyelet terminal and nut to any of the gauges ), and run it to one of the the oil gauge studs. The other gauge stud straight from the specific guage sender.

Is more common to find tachs on HiPo Cars ( GTX, RR, Coronets R/T ) than the oil pressure gauge thought.

gauges requires the sender change, and yes, still needs the VL signal.

If you want to keep the light along with the gauge, will need to install the sender on the other block provision and wire it individually straight to the gauge ( or use a T or Y pipe conector to use both senders )

Maybe the FSM provides the wiring information, but if not, is not hard to do... Just get the VL source from the gas/temp gauge common source ( with eyelet terminal and nut to any of the gauges ), and run it to one of the the oil gauge studs. The other gauge stud straight from the specific guage sender.

Is more common to find tachs on HiPo Cars ( GTX, RR, Coronets R/T ) than the oil pressure gauge thought.
Thanks for the reply. I just installed a Hemi in my 68 road runner and I want to monitor oil pressure but I didnt want to install and aftermarket gauge. The old school sun super tach is about as far as I want to go.

here is the 68/70 rear cluster view and the source from the VL... so there you have the closer point to take the 5 volts to feed the gauge... the outer temp gauge stud

s-l1600 (1).jpg

then the wire straight from the gauge kind sender.

If you don't want to keep the idiot light, just remove the light kind sender to install the 80 PSI gauge sender, remove the wire from the multipin conector and enlarge the wire up to gauge

Last edited:
need to note I never have really read anywhere if they work with 12 volts or 5 volts, but I actually never have known about a Mopar gauge ( optional or standard equipment ) from those days working with 12 volts.

need to note I never have really read anywhere if they work with 12 volts or 5 volts, but I actually never have known about a Mopar gauge ( optional or standard equipment ) from those days working with 12 volts.
This is good visual info. There is not much info out there on this option. I guess when I receive it I can ohm it out and compare i to the other standard gauges. If it has more resistance then likely it is meant for 12 volts.

This is the block provision... somebody used the extra one on this block for a mech gauge

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnJsKPM5tlungC-KQJ7FUXQxKuuvoyIw6_Dw&usqp=CAU.jpg

so just get the propper Sender. Be sure to be 80 PSI, since there are also 100 PSI available, althought 80 PSI is actually the regular one.

1381017.jpg

and install it on the extra provision on block... OR replace the light sender for the gauge if you don't want to keep the light.

7962190-440oilsenderholes.jpg

Or:

206966-f7025cc459db41c52c7b970a5bedce23.jpg

which I think is stupid and ugly LOL

This is good visual info. There is not much info out there on this option. I guess when I receive it I can ohm it out and compare i to the other standard gauges. If it has more resistance then likely it is meant for 12 volts.

I don't think the resistance will be really a HUGE difference, but is better allways try 5 volts first since won't hurt the gauge if is 12 volts like will do if backwards.

You can try also feed it with a 1.5 volts batt and should read around 1/4"-1/3" of the gauge reading. This will mean is 5 volts gauge

Last edited:
I don't think the resistance will be ready a HUGE difference, but is better allways try 5 volts first since won't hurt the gauge if is 12 volts like will do if backwards.
Excellent idea. I am going to try to find a 70 wiring diagram to see if this option was printed by then
You can try also feed it with a 1.5 volts batt and should read around 1/4"-1/3" of the gauge reading. This will mean is 5 volts gauge

or also an USB source, which is 5 volts ( 4.7 to 5.3 actually ). Will read max, and if 12 volts, around half of the gauge.

anyway I don't think is a 12 volts gauge... the Mopar Senders work on 10-70 ohms rate, and 12 volts ( usually GMs and aftermarkets) work on 0-90 ohms rate, so the sender won't get you the propper reading

or also an USB source, which is 5 volts ( 4.7 to 5.3 actually ). Will read max, and if 12 volts, around half of the gauge.

anyway I don't think is a 12 volts gauge... the Mopar Senders work on 10-70 ohms rate, and 12 volts ( usually GMs and aftermarkets) work on 0-90 ohms rate, so the sender won't get you the propper reading
I think that you are absolutely right. I appreciate your help. Can't wait to receive the part!

I think more than the FSM, the parts catalog could get you also on the right track for this. The Parts catalog use to get an ACCESORIES section on the first pages of the catalog, usually with diagrams ( althought not excesivelly detailed ), and MAYBE this optional gauge appears there... dunno.

Is that a factory option gauge? If so, I have never seen one and didn’t know they even existed. I thought all the 68-70 B body non rally dashes were just the idiot light for the oil pressure.

Is that a factory option gauge? If so, I have never seen one and didn’t know they even existed. I thought all the 68-70 B body non rally dashes were just the idiot light for the oil pressure.
It is an optional gauge. Widely used primarily on fleet and taxi but a rare option on one of our run of the mill B bodies.

I wonder if the oil pressure gauge was limited to 4 door models then if it was a fleet/taxi/police car thing? Was it ever a factory option in the road runner or gtx?

I wonder if the oil pressure gauge was limited to 4 door models then if it was a fleet/taxi/police car thing? Was it ever a factory option in the road runner or gtx?
I saw a thread somewhere where a guy had an original 68 Hemi road runner that had one from the factory

Sorry to drag this back up, but I just got one of these. Only other I have seen was in a 1968 Coronet R/T years ago. Glad to find the info on this.

I have a cluster with one of these I picked up years ago that eventually will end up in my’68.

Auto Transport Service
Back