• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reconnecting gauge cluster and other dash components.

Joseph Giamanco

Local time
11:07 PM
Reaction score
When I purchased my 66 Charger the dash was stripped of almost every component and all the gauges were disconnected. I have the speedometer and odometer working again but I would like to also get the tachometer and fuel gauge working. I have the wiring diagram but the wires/connectors I think go to the back of the cluster are not matching up with cluster back. Does anyone have pics of the back of your gauge cluster and the corresponding wires that connect to it? Also most of the knobs and other things on the dash were removed, can some list off from left to right what knobs and other components fill the holes in the dash?

Thank you, any help is appreciated!

PS- I threw in a couple pics of the car for fun!

IMG_2251.jpeg

IMG_9576.jpeg

If previous owner swapped out or modified the wiring harness, that could explain the colors not matching. The colors in the service manual if wiring is stock, should match the schematics. Do you have the proper shop manual ? If so, the schematic for the 66 Charger has a wiring table that references the schematics wire numbers and indicates gauge of the wire and color code.
Some of the wires for gauges go thru the bulkhead connector, some don't. You may need to free up the "far end" of some wiring to do a continuity test to identify/ verify what that wire does if colors are not correct. Is this wiring you describe still have factory lugs and connectors attached ? Were lugs and connectors all cut off ? If not connected to anything, assume they are all they all currently insulated somehow ? Understand that not every place on inst cluster that would have an apparent connection point does not necessarily have a corresponding wire in the cars wiring harness. Some connections, such as 5 Volt regulator, daisy chain from fuel gauge to oil and temp gauge. Similar for "EL" high voltage , white wire, which daisy chains to every gauge is indicated as a dashed line / wire on the cluster schematic. . You would need to make up some of this wiring if it does not exist. Do you have the Tach sender electronics can ?
As far as L to R sequence you ask about, that may be different depending on how car was optioned, On my stock un-molested 66 Charger it's 6 things in 6 holes. Headlight hold open sw, headlight sw, wiper sw ( steering column ) hood release, ignition sw, cig lighter.
Engine pix are not all that clear but looks like many modifications-changes have been made to the electrical system under the hood. Looks like a nice shape car though, more pix wold be nice.. Terry

Last edited:
If you do it yourself, you may want to purchase a new wire harness. If you need help with the EL lighting, Todd's Restorations online does a great job. He can also help with your wiring questions. One item you will need is the RTE limiter IVR3 for the fuel gauge so you do not fry it. Updates the old style which was not always reliable.

Left: Headlight hold open switch, Lights, Wiper, Flasher (not always there, option) Right: Hood release, Ignition, Cig Lighter.

1697725934807.png

Last edited:
This is what I used for my 67 Charger. I think I have a full size photo with the markings, I will look for mit and post.

66-67 Dash cluster top plate.jpg

67-Coronet-Wiring-Diagram-FULL-Color.jpg

rs=w_1300,h_800 (1).jpg

rs=w_1300,h_800 (2).jpg

rs=w_1300,h_800.jpg

Check out The Gauge Doc website - The Gauge Doc
I had him recondition/recalibrate all my gauges, tach sending unit and EL. Need to so some wiring before reinstalling.

My gages seem to work except the Tach. Previous owner swapped a newer LA 360 for the engine. I wonder if I can take the output from the Distributer and send it to the Tach if that would do the trick?

My gages seem to work except the Tach. Previous owner swapped a newer LA 360 for the engine. I wonder if I can take the output from the Distributer and send it to the Tach if that would do the trick?
Looks like you have a 66?
Originally there should be a gray wire with a trace connected to the coil - terminal which goes back to the tachometer sending unit inside the passenger compartment.
If you have points or Chrysler electronic ignition conversion this should still work, (provided the sending unit and tachometer are functional).

Auto Transport Service
Back