• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger aircon compressor

Lloyd Hammond

Local time
10:07 PM
Reaction score
Hi. Have a '68 Dodge Charger with factory aircon. Still retains factory compressor. Aircon has not been used for many years. It did run about a decade ago. If I switch on, the compressor just about stalls the engine, indicating that the compressor's almost seized and needs to come out. I'd like to keep the original compressor even though the modern ones are more efficient / use less hp. Does anyone have a good guide to rebuilding aircon systems - not just the compressor - on 60's Mopars? Lines are all there although I doubt there would be any gas in the lines. I presume I'd have to replace receiver / dryer unit. Any advice much appreciated. I'll leave gassing up the system to the pro's. R-134a is the most common HFC in Australia, although there are probably other options.

Reviving the A/C is a task. If the hoses are all good replace all of the O rings with the green ones. Flush the condenser and evaporator, replace the dryer. As your compressor is assumed bad, rebuild or replace. The original compressor used mineral oil, but you will need to use a R134 compatible oil in the compressor. The water valve is the hardest replacement part to find, but in 68 they were rebuildable, if corrosion hasn't ruined it.

Hi Jerry. Thanks for all the advice. I assume there's a special liquid for flushing, so I'll leave that to the guy who does the re-gas. I'll pull off the compressor soon and see if it's salvageable. Cheers, Lloyd

The compressors are completely rebuildable, there is a place in Florida that can restore the entire system. The name of the company is classic auto air, they also sell new kits but will restore your old parts completely , that is the route I’m going on my 70.

The compressors are completely rebuildable, there is a place in Florida that can restore the entire system. The name of the company is classic auto air, they also sell new kits but will restore your old parts completely , that is the route I’m going on my 70.
All I have to say is really hearsay, but if true I wouldn't let Classic Auto Air touch a car of mine. I bought a car that supposedly had the air done there. I was told that they told him that everything was good except the control head. His words not mine. So he was told get a replacement for that and everything will work.
What I found:
No O-rings on any fittings, no charged system, some rewiring that burnt up the vaccum switch, the condenser with blockage, the dryer was trash, rerouting of vacuum lines making the actuators fight each other, and the blower switch resistor bad. A new style compressor was installed, but the worst looking job I have seen. The good was the water valve was as new, not adjusted right but good.
I have bought a complete system from these people that I installed and have nothing bad to say about their systems, but if the above system was done there, no thanks.

Hey I’m open for suggestion Jerry, I’m looking for someone to restore the compressor and drier and other parts and I’ll reassemble the entire system .. If someone knows of someone better please share.

Hey I’m open for suggestion Jerry, I’m looking for someone to restore the compressor and drier and other parts and I’ll reassemble the entire system .. If someone knows of someone better please share.
I'm not sure that I can recommend someone, as I ended up chasing everything myself, with the help of a friend. Also I noted that I'm not sure of the truth. The guy was trying to sell a car, and did. The A/C was a deciding factor that didn't turn out so good for me, but it is done and working.
20210402_151443.jpg

Glen -Ray radiators can rebuild your compressor and also will give advise on refurbishing you A/C system..

Auto Transport Service
Back