• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger Brake Pedal Linkage Issue?

RonnieK

Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
Pretty stuck on this issue with the brake linkage on my 68 Charger.

Problem: Issue seems to be I’m not getting enough pressure to calibers to do anything, but just enough to spit fluid out the bleeder screws. Bled for hour or two and it never got better. Won’t stop the rears at all.

It has very little pedal. Like barely any travel. It’s the power brake set up but feels like either this linkage is wrong or I’m missing something. Couple questions answered could help.

A. This pedal NEVER goes to the floor. I’ve never had a pedal not go to the floor with any car ever, this cannot be right for this car? Stays a few inches off the floor. Seems like it’s hitting something and I can’t figure it out underneath. Wildly confused here.

B. Seems to me there’s not enough travel at the MC via the rod which is why it’s not getting a full pedal. So either I tighten all linkage bolts and the rod is too long with instant engagement once I bolt on the MC or I loosen the linkage to give it more space/remove nut described below and it sort of binds on itself and gunks up.

C. There seems to be a bolt that is completely counterintuitive in my set up. It bolts the rod from the booster/MC to the pedal. Problem is a nut on the back to keep it from walking out, restricts the return on the pedal. Leave the nut out and the bolt walks out and gets caught in the left of the bracket. If I leave the nut on, it also significantly cuts down on travel because of no return. Like What?

I’m about ready to throw all of it out and just buy new **** I’m so confused at this. Any feedback or help appreciated. Ill upload a pic when I get back to home base, pointing to the bolt in question in the pic.

any feedback or thoughts appreciated.

Have you replaced all your soft lines? They go bad. Have you looked at your distribution block, mine was plugged.

We need the feedback.
What was the car originally.
What did you do/change/replace.

Calipers, not "calibers".
The car could be a cobbled together setup or it could be stock. Pictures would help a bunch. The power brake cars got an unusual linkage arrangement under the dash. Manual drum cars got a simple push rod. Post pictures of the under dash linkage and the engine side components.
I agree, a distribution block or proportioning valve could be gunked up.
The brake hoses are not the problem. Bad brake hoses give a soft pedal, not a firm pedal.
Respond with pictures and more info, we'll get it figured out.

Auto Transport Service
Back