• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger Gas Cap repair

Macdon221

Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
Good Day all,

I have perfect outside condition 68 charger/barracuda gas cap that is missing the spring loaded plunger piece.

Is is possible to remove just the "spring loaded plunger seal" seal section from a poor condition cap and place it on another gas cap that is in great show condition outside.

The picture inserted is just an internet picture.

Thanks

Macdon221

cap2.jpg

No. The whole pieces that “plunges” with the spring. It’s missing from the good cap.

Is it possible to switch it over?

Yes you can!

I try to explain as simple I can.

The order from the parts from bottom to top (RED is at the very bottom as shown on the picture):

RED, then the spring in the center, GREEN, YELLOW, BLUE, PRUPLE, BLACK. This should be the correct order. The BLACK part you need to lever with a screwdriver to disassemble. After that you can remove the screw underneath and everything should be loose.

I did it myself and rechromed the flip top. Unfortunately I did a black zinc finish on the other parts. That is not factory correct. As far as I know it should be a blue/silver zinc finish.

If you have any problems or questions, just ask. I will help you

Thanks for @ @69ChargerR/TSE

Yannik

d81064f2-c27b-4919-91ff-a1fd0baa3f1b.jpeg

20220128_163122 paint.jpeg

Awesome. Exactly what i was looking for.

I will sure to be in contact if i have trouble!

Yennes,
Quick question if I may. Are there replacements for the rubber gasket that you have circled in PURPLE. Mine is cracked and deteriorating. Thanks Tim

Yennes,
Quick question if I may. Are there replacements for the rubber gasket that you have circled in PURPLE. Mine is cracked and deteriorating. Thanks Tim
No but you can cut it by yourself. Just take a rubber mat with the correct thickness. With a sharp knife it should be good. There are special tools for punching them also.

Yennes,
Will Do. Really appreciate your break down of the assembly. Looks to be pretty straight-forward. Thanks Tim

Auto Transport Service
Back