• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'68 Charger Grill Restoration

The black gets taped out on the front, and the edges are masked....spray on the silver around the front perimeter. Doesn't take too long when you have all the materials and experience.

To spray the silver? It’s up on the front. Are you talking about the black?
I thought you meant the fins were silver on the sides, and the front face of the fins was black.

When I painted mine last year I wanted to use Krylon "dull aluminum". I was told not to by a professional restorer. This is the correct silver by SEM. It matched my NOS grill perfectly.

grill paint.jpg

20200823_164419_05.jpg

I think that's correct. I had to paint mine because of the repairs.

The black gets taped out on the front, and the edges are masked....spray on the silver around the front perimeter. Doesn't take too long when you have all the materials and experience.

I thought you meant the fins were silver on the sides, and the front face of the fins was black.
I’m beginning to like the all black look.

Ok I see what you mean, the 68’s grills do look better blacked out.

View attachment 1308013
That silver could have been applied with a specifically shaped roller. No masking required. The edging might have been hand painted....with a bit of practice, it becomes easy to do.

That silver could have been applied with a specifically shaped roller. No masking required. The edging might have been hand painted....with a bit of practice, it becomes easy to do.
I thought that too. They didn’t have those touchup pens like what we have now. I was thinking about using that on mine, but I like the Black look.

I've had NOS 68 grille pieces & all of the silver is sprayed. You can tell by some minor overspray that got on some of the sides of the fins. I have no idea how they would have masked off that entire grille, being that it is so intricate for mass production.

I've had NOS 68 grille pieces & all of the silver is sprayed. You can tell by the overspray that got on some of the fin sides. I have no idea how they would have masked off that entire grille, being that it is so intricate.
That is interesting then....you would think a good portion of the overspray would make the sides of the fins look half done unless they somehow figured a way to decrease the amount of paint that would stick.

Not really, 68’s didn’t sell as well as the 69’s right?

Actually, it appears that the lack of silver paint on the grille fins resulted in a loss of Charger sales in 1969. :lol:

"As mentioned above, the 1968 Dodge Charger was a revelation in terms of sales for Chrysler; 96,000 were built for that model year alone, which was a huge improvement over the more lackluster movement of the ’66–67 editions. Very nearly the same number left the factory in 1969 (89,199), with production halving (46,315) by the third and final year of production."

Actually, it appears that the lack of silver paint on the grille fins resulted in a loss of Charger sales in 1969. :lol:

"As mentioned above, the 1968 Dodge Charger was a revelation in terms of sales for Chrysler; 96,000 were built for that model year alone, which was a huge improvement over the more lackluster movement of the ’66–67 editions. Very nearly the same number left the factory in 1969 (89,199), with production halving (46,315) by the third and final year of production."

2857AB99-94E8-4B6E-AF9C-93C3EB80A1E9.jpeg

Seriously though, I like both 68’s and 69’s the best.

Auto Transport Service
Back