• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 charger radiator suggestions

My point was that the wider tubes allow the wider fins to distribute the heat better. I understand "black body radiation", but I don't think that really applies to an aluminum radiator.

My point was that the wider tubes allow the wider fins to distribute the heat better. I understand "black body radiation", but I don't think that really applies to an aluminum radiator.
A motorcycle mag did a test on aluminum Harley Davidson heads. They are air cooled w fins. Raw aluminum, black paint and black powder coat. Black paint and raw aluminum were very close, within a couple degrees of each other in cooling ability but the black powder coat remained more than 10° hotter.

And you are correct on the larger tubes, but they must be an oval shape, not a round shape.

Mine are oval. No idea what a motorcycle motor wants.
It's wasn't about what a motorcycle engine wants, it's about the effect of paint on cooling fins. The radiator on You car uses the same principles and painting will not hurt it if done properly however powder coating will.

The black body radiation principle applies to all thermal radiation devices. T2 4th power-T1 4th power = Absolute power. Or
Blackbody radiation is radiation produced by heated objects, particularly from a blackbody. A blackbody is an object that absorbs all radiation (visible light, infrared light, ultraviolet light, etc.) that falls on it. This also means that it will also radiate at all frequencies that heat energy produces in it.

Since you understand the black body radiation principles you'll know how it applies. Thrre are complex formulas that are applicable but for the sake of brevity are not dhown.
BOB RENTON

RJ, I don't doubt your theoretical assessment. However, I do wonder if a painted aluminum part conforms to that, what does the paint/aluminum interface play? Seems only actual empirical testing would give us the answer. I'll just leave my aluminum radiator plain and rely on the tube size, fin style, etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back