• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'68 Charger - to driveability and beyond!

It's Sunday. Watch some Bullitt clips and have a beer for motivation.

First off good luck with your project, I have seen worse than that come back to life. Second on the issue of your title. Back in 09 I was given a 91 VW jetta with no title. At the time I was living in Nevada and the DMV there is to put it PC is very hard to deal with. There is an outfit out of Vegas, International Title Service that I used. Long story short. They got me plates and a registration for about $300 from Maine. Thats right Maine. I also used them for a Chevelle I have. So I did a search on ITS and it looks like they have gone to Hell with lots of complaints. So much for them. Still on the search function is a YOUTUBE video of a guy BUSARU that got plates from you guessed it Maine. It might be worth a look at. P.S. dont use ITS and good luck.

I know a reliable title service - Hollywood Title & Lien - here in Florida. $350 gets you a Florida title in the name of the wrecking company, and you can use that to transfer it to a clean title in your state. Provide a bill of sale, photos of the VIN tag, and anything else to show your possession/ownership and in 30 days or so, you'll be good to roll. Simple as you could please. You'll spend more in gas going back and forth with your local DMV.

If all else fails, let me know and I'll put you in contact. Richard is a good guy, and has an appreciation for our old rolling junk :)

-Kurt

Looking forward to some progress pics!!! We're here for ya if you need help!

And I'd highly recommend unbolting everything and then getting it blasted and epoxy coated, best money I've ever spent. Even if its going to be a rodded out "mad max" ride, I'd still get that thing blasted.

Thanks for the tips on getting a title, guys, most response I've ever gotten on a forum on the subject. Will be trying to get one here in SC first, if it proves too hard I'll try some of these other options. I don't foresee too much trouble, but you never know. I may play around test fitting some stuff just for the hell of it before I get it. If nothing else, it'll make a good mock up for a car in better condition. If this particular doesn't work out, I will get another sometime. Building stuff is half the fun anyway :D

As far as fixing it, been reading CJD's SRT8 conversion thread, and considering doing the same with mine, since I will ostensibly be having to replace nearly all of the same metal anyway. Charger parts cars can be had for around 1k around here, doesn't have to be a SRT as all the sub-frames are basically the same, IE a Hemi bolts into the same frame as a 2.7 or 3.5 car. I have a line on a rebuildable 5.7 Jeep engine cheap, and I have a buildable NAG1 already. Thinking grab a 2.7 parts car (easy to find since they go bad a lot), use the metal/frames/suspension, rebuild the Hemi with a cam and the NAG1 and drop in. Find a Hemi harness and computer, get it flashed so it works with everything else minus secondary O2's and SKIM key junk, and there we go. Upgrade the diff, suspension, brakes etc later on.

Just scheming right now, was planning on using a 5.7 anyway but with swap mounts. May still just do that and throw floor and trunk pans in, subframe connectors, and a Hotwires setup or MS3 PnP or something. Might have to build my own headers to get around the torsion bars. Who knows :D I have a 5.2/A518 combo laying around that would be cake to make work too.

Is there a single piece of good sheet metal? Just asking the question. I wouldn't shy away from it, so break out the cc and call AMD!!

Been reading threads and asking questions, and discussing the build with the wife. Starting to get a good idea of what I want, and more confidence in doing the panel repair after seeing so many do it on here with good results, even if they aren't body guys. Gonna talk to a buddy that knows a little more about it to see what he thinks will be the easiest way to get a title. Wife has a hip surgery coming up on Tuesday, and after that I'll be hopefully transitioning to a new job making a good bit more money, then I can start really planning on some things.

I think for now, basic plan is fix chassis and sheetmetal, make interior usable, get brakes and stock suspension sorted, rebuild the 5.7 Hemi I'm getting with some port work and a cam, rebuild the Nag1 I have to go with it and get them mounted. Then figure out fuel and spark.

That way I feel like I can get it motorvating again, and have some fun while figuring out what I really want suspension-wise. Was considering the LX chassis/interior swap, but I think I'd like to keep more of the '68 than just the body. Wife kinda put that in perspective for me, cause at that point it's really just a late-model w/ a body kit.

I really like the modern drivetrain and suspension upgrade but can say with a bit of work these old B Bodies handle and drive very well. I like both approaches so I'm onboard either way, good luck.

I like your idea of getting it running and on the road for as little as you can and having fun with it. I would cherry out the inside to make it nice and pleasing to ride in, make it mechanically safe to drive and leave it a little rough but functional. they all don't have to be restored. enjoy your car

I love the rat rod idea; awesome body style for a rat rod, and you rarely see rat rod mopars; everyone seems to follow the trend of the lowered mid 60's chevy pickups and vintage 1930 ish chop tops. Never liked them, but a 68 rat rod is awesome. Good luck with it.

Maybe it's just me, but I always thought of a rat rod as being a complete car, not 2 or 3 or 5 cobbled together. Maybe a body of one brand and an engine or rear end of another, could be straight with primer or beat and rusty, but you could tell what it was supposed to be. This bunch of pieced together junk with 4ft shifters and wacky art is something else to me. But anyway...

Been thinking about powertrain and doing some research, and I'm leaning towards a Hotwire setup to run the 5.7/nag1, port the heads myself and install 6.1 valve springs, and run an SRT Max cam. Unsure what intake though.

Was considering running a carb intake and MSD ignition, but then I have to buy a stand-alone trans controller. If I could find a used T56 or something for a good price or trade, I'd probably go this route. Or even a Tremec TKO or 3550 or something that would hold up. I prefer manuals anyway. I have a NP A-535 that I had behind a 318 in a truck, but I don't think it would hold up to a Hemi, especially not a cammed Hemi :)

Still not sure if carbed/MSD is any cheaper in the long run than a efi setup.

I bought a reman tr6060 6 speed for 1800 with a one year warranty. If you go with the nag one modern muscle has the software and wiring harness to run motor an trans. Just some info and good luck. I would go fuel injec. I'm glad I did.

If you ever want to sell it I will buy it I'm always looking for a 68/69 charger to buy thanks

Hey, it has been 6-7 weeks. What color did you paint it?

Auto Transport Service
Back