• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 convertible folding top frame

Wojo68

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info or where I can get some info, on convert top frames? Mine needs some work and I’m finding zero info. The header has some rot and I think one of the side plates is bent (a little). Referrals, diagrams, books,,any knowledge would help. Thanks guys.

1C83574E-D173-4249-A0D4-6755A772F542.jpeg

I suggest you check a factory service manual which can now be found for free online. Hopefully somebody will post a link.

Top headers are NOTORIOUS for rust & I wish mine was as in good a shape as yours...seriously, that's not very bad at all. Also, what makes you think you have a bent side bar? There are quite a few adjustments on the convertible top frames. I'm about to adjust mine here in the next couple weeks. Maybe it's just out of adjustment?

1E973B38-7176-4A6B-9021-4771DC9B2904.jpeg
I suggest you check a factory service manual which can now be found for free online. Hopefully somebody will post a link.

Top headers are NOTORIOUS for rust & I wish mine was as in good a shape as yours...seriously, that's not very bad at all. Also, what makes you think you have a bent side bar? There are quite a few adjustments on the convertible top frames. I'm about to adjust mine here in the next couple weeks. Maybe it's just out of adjustment?
I don’t have any experience at all with these frames. Maybe it is out of alignment. Just seems like something is bent a little. Not gonna force it.

If you have a tig welder, you can fix the rust. Mine had some rot along the top, Some holes 4" in diameter or so. Just run your arc near the rust and try to get a foothold somewhere on a solid piece, then feed the heck out of some stainless filler rod. Bridge across and keep filling, grind and repeat. Took me about 4 hours to do mine. Pictures are before and after on the passenger side, holes not massive like the other side and center.

2018-03-06 006.JPG

2018-03-07 001.JPG

Take a straight edge to the part you think is bent and take a picture. I can go fold my top frame out tomorrow and see if it has the same gap.

If you have a tig welder, you can fix the rust. Mine had some rot along the top, Some holes 4" in diameter or so. Just run your arc near the rust and try to get a foothold somewhere on a solid piece, then feed the heck out of some stainless filler rod. Bridge across and keep filling, grind and repeat. Took me about 4 hours to do mine. Pictures are before and after on the passenger side, holes not massive like the other side and center.

View attachment 661206

View attachment 661207

Take a straight edge to the part you think is bent and take a picture. I can go fold my top frame out tomorrow and see if it has the same gap.

View attachment 661206

View attachment 661207

Thanks man. I got this car a couple months ago and the top wasn’t on it. Having issues closing it completely so I don’t wanna force it. I guess I’d have to see one actually closed before I’m sure somethings bent. It just looks off. Could be me though.

See one in person or just on a picture? Will load a bunch of pictures of a convertible top I had.
2018-01-10 002.JPG
2018-01-11 006.JPG
2018-01-11 007.JPG
2018-01-11 008.JPG
2018-01-11 009.JPG
2018-01-11 019.JPG
2018-01-11 021.JPG
2018-01-11 022.JPG
2018-01-11 023.JPG
2018-01-11 024.JPG

Sorry, but that top frame does look bent. You might check here in the "parting out" section to see if someone has one for sale OR find somebody in your area who is a real Mopar expert and/or has a b-body convertible for comparison & see if they can straighten what you have would be my advice.

Sorry, but that top frame does look bent. You might check here in the "parting out" section to see if someone has one for sale OR find somebody in your area who is a real Mopar expert and/or has a b-body convertible for comparison & see if they can straighten what you have would be my advice.
Not knowing much about it, I’m thinking it is too. I know a few Mopar guys around here. Hopefully they know or can point me in the right direction. Garrett post some great pics. Least now I know a little, on, what goes where. Like I said, I appreciate any/all advice I can. Thank you.

If anyone has a service manual that’d be awesome.

Auto Transport Service
Back