• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'68 Coronet 440 to R/T Clone

Toxic Orange 493

Local time
9:20 PM
Reaction score
After 10 years of reading the forum and posting a few times, I figured it was time to start a thread on my '68 Coronet that I have been working on slowly for the past 10 years. Here are a few picture from when I first got the car in 2010

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2196.JPG
IMG_2204.JPG

At some point somebody thought welding a new piece of metal on top of the rotted floor was a good idea. So a new drivers side floor was in order. The rest of the floors in the passenger area were still solid.
IMG_2229.JPG

Not so much the case for the trunk floor.
IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2214.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2365.JPG

Somebody had used tar cover and to hold metal in place over the holes at the rear of the trunk floor.
IMG_2404.JPG

New Drivers Side Floor Installed
IMG_0245.jpg

New trunk floor installed.
IMG_2449.jpg

Since I was so busy removing all the old metal, I missed getting pictures of taking it out. Replaced rear frame rails, trunk floor, trunk extensions, rear leaf spring supports, the rear cross rail and both quarters.

Last edited:
Coated in epoxy primer and time to start working on the fenders.
IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Picked up a set of bucket seats and a trunk lid that only needed minor work from a '68 Coronet. I can't remember if it was an R/T or a 500. The frame was really bad on it, but had alot of other good parts. Guy wouldn't sell the whole car though.

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg

All body work done, blocked and getting ready to put down some color in the engine bay and trunk.

IMG_2898.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

The car will have a 440 stroked to a 492. The shortblock is assembled, just needs to be painted. Don't have any pictures of it currently. It has Edelbrock RPM heads, a Victor EFI intake and custom ground Bullet Cam. I think I will be going with a Holley EFI, but not fully set yet on my decision.

Currently working on the k-frame and front suspension so I can try to get the engine put in this summer / fall.

Is that MM1 Bronze? Very nice work!

Almost looks more like 1969 T5 copper. Whatever it is, it looks great.

The color is the Toxic Orange from the 2010 Dodge Challenger and Dodge Viper. Originally I wanted to do the car in Burnt Orange. However, once I saw Toxic Orange in person I quickly changed my mind. I think both colors are great, but I really wanted a color that was not original and would really look good with a black interior, black vinyl top and possible a black tail stripe. I am not sure yet on having the tail stripe. Were they standard on an R/T or still an option?

WOW that car pops! Thanks for staying up in the wee hours to post all these pics, much appreciate
the effort. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back