• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'68 Coronet 440 to R/T Clone

The car is going to be fuel injected. So I picked up a new EFI fuel tank from Tanks Inc. I got the tank with pump and sending unit, but they are universal and need to be setup to the tank depth. First up was the pump assembly.

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

Next was the sending unit. I forgot to get pictures of the sending unit before I set it up for the tank depth. You have to determine the length of the adjustable mount that needs to be trimmed off and then how much of the arm on the float that you need to go from empty to full. Since the B body tank is so short, most of both get cut off.
IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3639.JPG

IMG_3637.JPG

Setting up the wiring and the hoses to go to the hard fuel lines on the car.
IMG_4111.JPG

Ready to be installed with a new fuel tank mat from Detroit Muscle.
IMG_4117.JPG

Tank installed with the fuel lines connected. The two rubber hoses will be for the vent lines needed on the EFI tank. They get connected together and then to a roll over vent. I have not made a bracket yet for the roll over vent.

IMG_4169.JPG

Got a very nicely restored three speed wiper motor from Bruce Somer.
IMG_4465.JPG

Next up was the front brake lines, distribution block, front caliper brackets and a Borgeson power steering box.

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4698.JPG

IMG_4647.JPG

IMG_4655.JPG

Nice. Check the calibration of the fuel sender and make sure it jives with your gauge correctly.

Nice. Check the calibration of the fuel sender and make sure it jives with your gauge correctly.

I have a Tanks Inc tank in my Challenger, had very little lucky with that style sender... After having the tank out & playing with it three times I scrapped the sender & bought one of the tube style senders... Its been great ever since...

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/...t_id=346/category_id=184/mode=prod/prd346.htm

View attachment 1271854

I checked the sending unit out a few times before I installed it to make sure it worked properly. This is all good advice. Once I get the dash installed, I will check it out with the fuel gauge and see how it works. If I would have seen the tube style sender when I was looking at the tanks, I would have went with one when I ordered it.

I didn't get any pictures of the heater box, but I installed all new seals from Detroit Muscle, a new heater core and then cleaned and tested the original fan. Also cleaned and put grease fittings into the wiper pivots and restalled them with the new gaskets.
IMG_5593.JPG

Cleaned and painted the parking brake. Cleaned the drives side fresh air box and reinstalled.

IMG_5602.JPG

YES, Toxic Orange!!!! One of my favorite colors. I was seriously thinking of painting my car this color. Your car looks great!!

Next up was some work on the rallye dash that I am going to put in. This is the frame that I had to start with. Overall, not to bad just a lot of surface rust on the top.
IMG_1897.JPG

IMG_1898.JPG

The entire frame was sandblasted to remove all the old paint and rust. Then it was all coated it in epoxy primer.
IMG_4746.JPG

IMG_4747.JPG

Since I don't have a nice set of original dash pads, I decided to try the reproductions from PG Classics for now. Hopefully, I will find a set of originals that will replace them in the future. The PG classics are ok at best, the fit is far from great in my opinion. The center pad does not fit around the ashtray. I sent two back before I got the third that atleast allows the ashtray to fully close, but the gap around the ashtray is not consistent. This picture is the first one that I had, you can see how bad it was around the ashtray.
IMG_4810.JPG

View attachment 1287144

Next up was a coat of SEM Hot Rod Black. I know it is not like the factory and doesn't have the texture. But I like the looks of the hot rod black and wanted a little more practice shooting it since I plan to use it on the hood.

IMG_4821.JPG

IMG_4822.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back