• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet, slow project in Napa, CA

It is cold and windy this morning, so it seemed like a good idea to mess with spraying water all over the place. Used some junky stranded board to make a redneck runway so I could degrease and power wash a bit.
IMG_3183.JPG
PVED0913.JPG

Last edited:
PST is a sponsor of this site and they make decent products at fair prices. Personally, I like a larger torsion bar than the 1.03 size that they sell. Firm Feel has larger sizes, Bergman Auto Craft does too. I have Bilstein shocks and am happy with them.

If you are careful with the overspray mist, Easy Off oven cleaner, or similar, works quite well for getting built up grunge off. Just keep it away from paint you want to save and exposed skin.

PST is a sponsor of this site and they make decent products at fair prices. Personally, I like a larger torsion bar than the 1.03 size that they sell. Firm Feel has larger sizes, Bergman Auto Craft does too. I have Bilstein shocks and am happy with them.
Thanks. How big are you running on Ginger? Firm ride?

If you are careful with the overspray mist, Easy Off oven cleaner, or similar, works quite well for getting built up grunge off. Just keep it away from paint you want to save and exposed skin.
I use tons of that stuff, mostly on axles, crossmembers, and other parts that aren't attached to the car. Takes off dirt, grease, paint, and I think even a little rust. Only negatives are the points you already alluded to. It burns, and it sprays pretty fine so it likes to carry on the breeze and settle wherever it wants, which is usually somewhere you don't want it to. Also, you don't want to inhale it. I started with oven cleaner yesterday on the K member, but with the wind today am sticking with the degreaser.

Thanks. How big are you running on Ginger? Firm ride?
On this car I have 1.15” bars and a QA1 1.25 hollow front sway bar. Urethane bushings in the strut rods, rubber for the control arms.
The ride is firm but not harsh. I compare it to the Wife’s 2015 Challenger.

FA3BCCAE-A0E4-419D-8170-67581CFA0A6A.jpeg

Passon was working on the A-855 5-speed transmission, but I don't know anyone who has one?
As @Budnicks posted, I have had my Passon 855 installed now for at least 4 years, and I plan on testing its limits with my 572. I certainly hope it's up to the job, street and strip (with the HitMaster by our own @weedburner that should help reduce the shock on the transmission). IF it should break, in any significant way, I will look at a G-Force or Jerico, or any other 5 speed that I can have confidence in, get the 855 fixed, and sell it to some fortunate person, one who wants a strong transmission but especially doesn't want to cut their car. If I need something stronger that requires cutting the tunnel, I have consigned myself to that possibility.

Tried out my impulse buy sprayer attachment for the pressure washer. It is reversible so it can also be used to clean floors/sidewalks. For spraying up, I give it about a 3.5 out of 5. The multiple spraying heads reduce the pressure quite a bit. Throws more volume out than regular power washing so flooding the work area happens faster. Still removed a bunch of dried dirt without getting any in my face, so that's a plus. I plan to drop the gas tank later today and then do the underside again.

IMG_3186.JPG

No progress on the car but did buy another rear end. It was about an hour from my home but I had to go to the area anyway. Guy didn't know anything about it other than his shop pulled it from a 69 Roadrunner (according to him). He wouldn't scrape the gunk away to tell me anything about it. I got it home and cleaned enough to see what it is. Not unhappy with it as I mainly wanted the third member. Need to find a place in the area to rebuild/re-gear the third member. Eventual goal is to get them both rebuilt, so I'll have one low geared, one higher.

IMG_3259.JPG
IMG_3265.JPG
IMG_3266.JPG

I guess you was wanting a 489 third member? Your probably gong to keep the sure grip?

742 is a good setup. Just as strong as a 489, and doesn't use a crush sleeve. I run one in my Duster.

I guess you was wanting a 489 third member? Your probably gong to keep the sure grip?
I was actually just hoping for another 742. Both of mine seem to be open differentials.

742 is a good setup. Just as strong as a 489, and doesn't use a crush sleeve. I run one in my Duster.
I am still learning and relearning the Mopar world. I was trying to stay away from the 741's and the really early third members. But my reasons were based on stuff I read here and elsewhere on the net, so I really am at the mercy of what info I stumbled across. Either way, this won't be a high horsepower car, and will be running street tires (at least for a long while).

Started cleaning up parts and while messing with the K member I recalled that on a separate thread we weren't able to get a date off of the K member when I was trying to figure out about when my car was built. I checked the area in the front of the K member where the date code should be stamped and found this...
IMG_3302.JPG

The consensus was that that number wasn't a date code and that there was probably another number near it. I haven't checked the underside thoroughly yet, but there isn't another number on that forward facing portion. I did find these...

IMG_3300.JPG
IMG_3303.JPG

I pulled the back window and found rust, as expected. I need to clean up a bunch more to see how bad it is but I am happy it is out. It had plenty of adhesive and what looked like grey plumber's putty jammed in under the trim.
IMG_3278.JPG
IMG_3294.JPG
IMG_3295.JPG
IMG_3296.JPG

I know the 4 door parts car has a different shaped back window but I am thinking it might still be able to provide some patch pieces for the rotted areas, rather than having to form the angle.

Pushed the car outside so I could clean up a bit in the shop. It was windy as hell so I thought it would be a good time to do a little bondo probing on the passenger quarter panel. I knew it was bad because I could see ugliness inside the trunk.
IMG_3330.JPG
IMG_3332.JPG
IMG_3331.JPG

You have to give the bondo sculpter some credit for his skills. It looked like this when I got the car...

IMG_2312.JPG

I intend to paint the car the original red. Found a bunch of the original paint behind the tail trim. I guess masking all around it was easier than removing some nuts.
IMG_3336.JPG

Funny thing is, when they painted it blue, over the red, they saved the jacking instructions sticker on the trunk lid.

It was windy down here too. Looks like you got the classic "cave and pave" fill job. It never stops to amaze me at how people would would spend big bucks on something else, but body repair and paint always got the "it costs too much" syndrome.

It always amazes me at how good some guys can smear and sculpt bondo.....

Auto Transport Service
Back