• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 coronet

Whiskybravo

Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys john here
My first ever post on a forum
I'm looking at a 68 coronet and owner claims matching no. Motor so I'm trying to verify but it's blowing my mind some. Owner has sent photos of vin and fender tag and a few no.s from the engine.
1 on bell housing and engine where it attaches to bell housing 8E10421 then a couple raised no.s. one gives the date 4 17 67 with possibly serial underneath and a D N with arrow pointing at the N
And another raised no. Looks serial to.
The no.s on bell housing engine 10421 match the vin tag
Can anyone out there help please?

Thanks heaps john

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg imagejpeg_0(3).jpg imagejpeg_1.jpg imagejpeg_0(1).jpg imagejpeg_0.jpg

Welcome from NM. Looks like you have an RT there. Lots of knowledge on this forum. Somebody will know about the numbers.

Welcome aboard!

The numbers on the side of the block is the casting info and part number
Cast on 4-17-67 D=day shift and N=night shift
2538430-6 is the casting number for the block the -6 is the mold revision/repair number.
The partial vin on the bell housing flange looks to match the dash vin so probably the engine it was born with.
On a different note it Looks as if the bell housing has been repaired?

Last edited:
Is it a mis-stamp or a not very hard stamp?

I see a "104..." something on the block near the bell.

It's awful close and the casting date looks about right for the car year.

There's some debate about which cars and how early in the 1968 model year run got a matching stamp on the block.

...but 69coronetrt is the resident expert.

On 1968 mopars, the sequence number is stamped on the block and bellhousing just like in your pics. My 68 Road Runner is the same deal. Congrats on the numbers matching engine and tranny!
And welcome to the site!

Is it a mis-stamp or a not very hard stamp?

I see a "104..." something on the block near the bell.

It's awful close and the casting date looks about right for the car year.

There's some debate about which cars and how early in the 1968 model year run got a matching stamp on the block.

...but 69coronetrt is the resident expert.

Thanks for the shout out but I'm hardly an expert on this topic.

I do know that 68 stampings are an under researched area and a lot of misinformation exists as to what did and didn't happen.

To me this is obviously good data showing the LA plant stamped the VIN as early as September of 67. The casting date fits with SPD of the car. It would be interesting to see the engine assembly date stamped on the front pad to see how long it was between casting and assembly.

68_Matching.jpg

This was a one owner customer's car 9/29/67 spd. Both engine and trans were clearly stamped with last 8 digits of vin.
IMG_20220325_113442.jpg

Welcome from Missouri!!

To me this is obviously good data showing the LA plant stamped the VIN as early as September of 67. The casting date fits with SPD of the car. It would be interesting to see the engine assembly date stamped on the front pad to see how long it was between casting and assembly.

View attachment 1260028
I agree on assembly date#,,,, that will shed more light

Welcome aboard!

The numbers on the side of the block is the casting info and part number
Cast on 4-17-67 D=day shift and N=night shift
2538430-6 is the casting number for the block the -6 is the mold revision/repair number.
The partial vin on the bell housing flange looks to match the dash vin so probably the engine it was born with.
On a different note it Looks as if the bell housing has been repaired?

Hi to everyone and huge thanks for your replies I was a little overwhelmed with the response.
Can I only respond to specific posts not make a general reply ?
There is a weld on the bell housing the current owner said before his time (he's owned 8 years) so not sure what that's about. I've asked him to find the no. On the flat pad that you guys are calling the assembly date? But he can't even find the flat pad and I don't know where that is either. Also what's the spd? I've bought the official records online for the car and they state an engine and chassis no. That he hasn't seen yet but must be on the car somewhere?
The engine no. On the official compliance document is D440828HP
The chassis no. WS23L8E104201
Where would these 2 no.s exist on the vehicle?
I'm getting a flight today to see the car in person
Your guys help is very very much appreciated
Thanks again john

Ok I would assume your # is 8 28 (Aug 28) which sounds plausible for the build.
April cast on the block sounds a bit weird..
But anything possible..

The engine info is on a block right in front of the intake

Auto Transport Service
Back