• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 coronet

SPD = Scheduled production date. The flat pad is on the bottom of the motor on the back passenger side oil pan surface. The flat pad on the passenger side of the block DOES NOT have VIN stamped on it for the '68 models.The Chasis number is the VIN number and it is stamped on the radiator support and the trunk lip, under the seal... That is what I have learned on here in the past few months. I think that is all accurate info., if not somebody will correct it.

RemCharger is right on the D 440 8 28 HP is what is stamped on the flat spot on the top of the motor in front of the intake on drivers side. D= 1968 8 28 is August 28 assembly date (I assume 1967) and HP for, you know what, HIGH PERFORMANCE.

SPD = Scheduled production date. The flat pad is on the bottom of the motor on the back passenger side oil pan surface. The flat pad on the passenger side of the block DOES NOT have VIN stamped on it for the '68 models.The Chasis number is the VIN number and it is stamped on the radiator support and the trunk lip, under the seal... That is what I have learned on here in the past few months. I think that is all accurate info., if not somebody will correct it.

Welcome from Illinois whiskeybravo! Sounds like you have some military background? Hope that Coronet turns out to be what you're looking for and you can cut a good deal!

Great info I thought the flat pad was on drivers side so I've misdirected the owner already
I'll look for that radiator support chassis no. In person later roday
Thankyou 4speed

RemCharger is right on the D 440 8 28 HP is what is stamped on the flat spot on the top of the motor in front of the intake on drivers side. D= 1968 8 28 is August 28 assembly date (I assume 1967) and HP for, you know what, HIGH PERFORMANCE.
Is it normal to have a 67 casting year and you say D=68 engine no. Year

Thanks for the shout out but I'm hardly an expert on this topic.

I do know that 68 stampings are an under researched area and a lot of misinformation exists as to what did and didn't happen.

To me this is obviously good data showing the LA plant stamped the VIN as early as September of 67. The casting date fits with SPD of the car. It would be interesting to see the engine assembly date stamped on the front pad to see how long it was between casting and assembly.

View attachment 1260028
Thanks for your xgreat info
Thanks for the shout out but I'm hardly an expert on this topic.

I do know that 68 stampings are an under researched area and a lot of misinformation exists as to what did and didn't happen.

To me this is obviously good data showing the LA plant stamped the VIN as early as September of 67. The casting date fits with SPD of the car. It would be interesting to see the engine assembly date stamped on the front pad to see how long it was between casting and assembly.

View attachment 1260028

Thankyou 69 coronet love to see a pic if you still own the 69? Thanks for your comments. I'm a bit confused with this Flat pad you say on the front? You mean front of motor? I thought I'd also heard passenger side of motor? Is there 2 flat pads or 1?
Thanks heaps

The way I understand it is that the '68 models were built from like August '67 to August '68, or something close to that. Somebody please clarify that. The D is when the engine was assembled and put into a car.???

The flat pad is on the very front of the block where the front valley pan rail gasket is on the driver side of the block. To the right of the distributor check the pic attached
B82FAAC6-EDD9-4FEC-9456-92E1A72DC7B7.jpeg

The way I understand it is that the '68 models were built from like August '67 to August '68, or something close to that. Somebody please clarify that. The D is when the engine was assembled and put into a car.???
Yes. D is the 68 model year , regardless if it was built in 67 or 68.

Is it normal to have a 67 casting year and you say D=68 engine no. Year
My block was cast March of '67 even though it's numbers matching for an April '68 assembly. Your block appears to have been cast only a few months prior to assembly.

Welcome to FBBO

good luck with the purchase & codes

Makes perfect sense thankyou

If I can just find that pad no. And the radiator support no. it looks like I should have all the info I need to confirm sellers claim of matching no.s?
And I presume to fake an RT you'd have to change the fender tag and vin and engine no.s so doesn't seem likely? Not that I have any reason to doubt just a big expense and wanna make sure it's as advertised

68 R/T kinda is tough to truly authenticate, The VIN is on the dash, the engine & the trans.... But not the fender tag, Radiator yoke or trunk lip... The SO number is on the fender tag, radiator yoke & trunk lip... The only places to truly tie those numbers together are the broadcast sheet or the original window sticker...

The fact the block appears to be original helps allot, the first two digits of the VIN being WS confirms Coronet R/T & the fender tag having WS likewise is Coronet R/T... So chances are everything legit... But without a Broadcast sheet theres no way to prove the fender tag & body belong with the Engine & VIN tag...

End of the day I try not to get to hung up on the numbers... Do you like the car? Does it fit your budget? Buy the car!! Enjoy the car....

Thanks for your Service!!!

Different pad, 67-68 don't have a pad on the passenger side oil pan rail like a 69 & newer does...

vin.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back