• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD 68 GTX clone $17K

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckNeccid

Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Virtually rust free body that has been painted once. Old couple owned 1968 Plymouth until about 6 years ago, then was bought by the man I got it from. During that time he painted it back the Forest Green factory color, stripped the Satellite chrome and repaired one rust hole in the quarter about the size of a quarter. Currently it has some places where the chrome holes were on the driver's door, and one place on the hood where filler has cracked. Not a show paint job by any stretch of the imagination, but it's more than presentable. The scooped hood has had rust repairs before, along the front edge where the roll is.

.030 440, forged pistons taking it to 10.5-1 compression, 440 source heads, Lunati roller cam, lifters and rockers, forged crank, Weiand WCFB intake and 600 Holley with ceramic coated headers. Engine has maybe 2000 miles on it since rebuild. About the same on the tranny. 4 core aluminum radiator, and many many new parts not listed here. Aftermarket/dealer add on A/C that works great installed. P/S, disc brakes not powered, 2800 stall, 727 tranny, 3.23 gears. Aluminum slots, BFG tires w 275/60-15's on the rear. Oversize front torsion bars, and front and rear sway bars.

Has power leather truck seats in it, along with a console from a '65, gauges installed in dash. Door panels are correct GTX panels but are weak as is dash panel with GTX emblem. 150 mph speedo installed so mileage reading is not correct. Runs and drives great, I wouldn't hesitate to take it cross country today. I have more pictures if you'd like, and would be willing to take any that would make you feel better, heck we could even go for a video drive.

GTX68low.jpg

Do Not Post email addresses or Phone Numbers in posts
Commentary is NOT allowed in For Sale forums. Relevant questions ONLY!
Please Click Here and read all the rules before posting.

Failure to abide by these rules may result in your post being deleted!

Last edited by a moderator:
DSC02657.jpg

Money is important, but a partial trade might be accepted. I wouldn't be selling this now if it wasn't for taxes and medical bills that popped up with out warning, I hate to do it, but immediate sale would give me breathing room. If I make it thru the squeeze without selling it, it won't be sold. Projects will be considered, but I'm not looking for a daily driver type vehicle, just something that may interest me.

I also need to add that I have a 70 Corvette for sale in other sights, and should it sell first, this car will no longer be for sale

No one wants to fly in and drive it home? Have I got this priced too cheap and it's scaring people off? Does anyone have any idea why I'm not getting a response, either here or on any other sight? IS there something terribly wrong, too cheap, too expensive, what's scaring people off. And you're not going to hurt my feelings with your comments, let them fly.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice car, Just have no Money!!

I might have some interest. Would you sell it without engine, radiator,, stall converter,console and floor shifter, front seats, and maybe those wheels? I would like to clone a 68 Roadrunner I bought new. You can PM me if you would like.....................................MO

No one wants to fly in and drive it home? Have I got this priced too cheap and it's scaring people off? Does anyone have any idea why I'm not getting a response, either here or on any other sight? IS there something terribly wrong, too cheap, too expensive, what's scaring people off. And you're not going to hurt my feelings with your comments, let them fly.
Do you have it on your local Ohio CraigsList and AutoraderClassics? Might be worth the cost on Autotrader. Those were my main two sources when I was looking. eBay was just too much of a hassle it seemed, unless you spend a lot of time sorting through auctions, end-dates, etc.

Can't comment much on the car, but the price doesn't seem outrageous even for a clone. Surprised you haven't got at least some offers yet, or are they all lowballs? Being an automatic might narrow your audience of buyers a bit, who knows. GLWS...

Sorry Cornpatch MO, if it doesn't sell before I can get my head above water on some unexpected medical bills, it won't be sold, so I'd be cutting my own throat. I don't really WANT to sell the car, but I need to.

Ghosty, I have it on Craigslist and Racingjunk, as well as at least 4 other forums and about 7 different Mopar specific Facebook pages. Didn't want to put it in published magazines because of the lead time it takes before it's on the stand and it being in so many other listings, I figured it would be gone. Not even getting lowball offers is what baffles me. I've had 2 calls in 2 months, and the only actual offer was of a 1980 Corvette, 97 Wrangler and 88 Firebird as a trade, with the Firebird being the only one not licensed. It was a good offer, but I don't need the cars, I need the cash to cure problems. The only other call I got was someone wanting to know what my bottom dollar was, and I asked him what the most he would pay was. He got mad and hung up. It's strange that I'm not even getting the lowball offers is why I was asking if there's something specific I wrote that is scaring people off. All I can figure is people are suspect that the car isn't as good as it is described, no way it could be, so they just shrug it off and go on.

Damn, that sucks man. Sorry to hear your reason having to sell, it's tough to let go I'm sure! I was talking about the online www.AutotraderClassics.com. I've never used the print version, especially in the last decade. You might have good luck, but again a gamble on the $70 or whatever they charge nowadays. Use to be so cheap back in the day. Sounds like otherwise, you've got all the websites covered.

Maybe some people who sell/flip a lot of classics will chime up on a better way to write your ad. Seems fine to me.

Definitely take it to all the car shows too. You're in Ohio so I'm sure there are a few every single weekend? Slap a for-sale sign on it and I'll bet you get a lot of interested folks.

Great looking car! I thought this would sell quickly... Moparcrazy sold one virtually identical and it was gone in a week.. I tell you what if I hadn't been into my road runner, I would give this one a serious look.

Nice car , glws

Mikey

nice ride..iv seen it online for sale..im not to far from ya..good luck and hope it sells

The plan right now is to take the car to the Mopar Nats this weekend, which should result in a sale, but if someone wants it and can save me that 3 hour drive, I can make one heck of a deal just so I won't have to suffer for a week recovering from making the trip.If you're interested in the car, this is the time to contact me, I'm motivated lol

If I were you I would put it or the vette on e-bay, not that Im a big fan but I have sold two vehicles to people who paid way more than a local sale would have brought, One flew in and drove home and the other paid shipper to pick it up. Best wishes to you , hope your sale and future goes well. CD

I know Gary, I have lowered the asking price, just haven't gone to each place it's listed and changed the price there. I figured anyone who was watching the video would see the $15K and take it from there. Thanks for mentioning that.

Clay, I've had a lot of luck with Racingjunk.com in the past, and I have waited to put it on e-Bay with the idea of taking it to the Nats before even thinking of putting it on e-Bay. I've bought 3 nor 4 cars from e-bay, but never had any luck selling one on there.

Drove to the Nats, was chased for 30 miles or so near Lancaster OH, on the back roads. Guy who stopped me was a serious Chevy fan, but was really interested cause he'd followed me that far, with the way I was driving, and he didn't see any smoke, signs of overheating or anything negative. He said he was totally amazed at how well it handled on the road, thru the curves etc, and he just HAD To check it out. He did a very thorough inspection of the car, and gave me his "Lemme talk to the wife and get back to you". Never heard from him again, but it was exciting while it lasted, and he kept telling me I needed to raise the price it was too cheap. Naw, I don't buy that.

Got to the Nats too late and could only get a parking space way in the back of lot E, so it wasn't seen too much, and one gent and his son who saw the pics hanging on my back was SUPER interested, up to them running to catch me, until they heard me tell them it was a clone. Guess I'll always just build them the way I want to build them, heck with the numbers. I'd rather drive it than sit and check numbers, somewhere the adrenalin seems to be lacking while looking at the numbers.

So.... still available if anyone's interested. I guess if a 69 RR with no quarters, floors or trunk floor, no interior, 383 car with a bare 440 block and no tranny sold for $6500, I can't be too far off on price.

Nice car, Just have no Money!!

I hope you take my comment in the way they are intended... Looks like a nice car, seems to be a reasonably priced, maybe a little high, if someone was interested they could always lowball you an offer at-least... 68 Satellite/GTX clone, that word "clone" maybe scaring some purists off of looking.... the odd year of truck seats & 65 console, non matching #'s engine & trans etc., could/might be scaring some off too... I like it, I'm pretty easy on clone guys, just an inexpensive version of the real thing, you can actually drive & afford not worry so much about... But I'm not in the market either, I'm also broke too & your way on the other side of the country... Also we are in a really bad economy right now too.... just a few thoughts... its worth what a regular 68 Sport Satellite is worth, in the same condition, I would imagine... Some Mopar people, especially the purist crowd are an enigma for sure, you can't predict what they will or won't think, on something that isn't original equipped... It's really hard to tell.... Good Luck I hope you get better soon & don't have to sell....

I was thinking yesterday as I was driving the car, I've probably concentrated too much on making sure people knew of any defects I know of. The trigger for that thought was just thinking how smooth, solid, strong and comfortable the ride in the car felt, the numbers of thumbs up I got, and just the general love for the car.

The problem now is how do you take an ad that gave negative feelings from the start, and get across just how really nice this car is? Sheeesh.. I bought a '68 GTX back in '74 that has less than 2000 miles on it (the original owner didn't come home, verified that thru the TN DMV) and this car is way smoother, stronger, etc than the original car was. That was my first GTX, and it started the love I have for those cars today, so saying ANYTHING is better than the memories I had of that car is almost a sacrilege. I guess when you replace almost everything that can be replaced with new parts, and minimum specs were what would be offered stock, with most being replaced with an optional better item, you should expect it to be better than new or original.

Didn't really have an answer as to how you could update the listing, so I just turned up the A/C, cranked the radio some listening to "Radar Love", and applied more pedal pressure, just enjoying the drive and the way the car handles. Curves marked w/ 35mph speed restrictions were being taken at 60, with little to no body roll, no diving nose when you hit the brakes and a smoothness that's hard to believe. Heck I may make it thru this period of need and not need to sell it after all, lol

Hey Buck,
Im sorry that a medical condition has put you in this position, here's hoping ya a speedy recovery!
If it makes ya feel better ill give ya a lowball offer (?) lol
But my 67 Sat. in trade just won't cover it.
good luck with sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back