• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 GTX Wiring Harness install

Viperdan

Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
I am installing a new dash wiring harness. Everything plugs in fine, but I have an extra brown w/tr wire on the new harness near the wiper switch that is unused. I have looked at the wiring diagram and can not figure out where this lone wire goes. All my plugs in the dash are filled. Please help me.:violent-smiley-100:

If not in factory wireing diagram could be added by the wire harness manufacture as an optional item your does'nt have or modern upgrade like intermediate wipers ?? also could be made to fit several cars like maybe a 300 or Polara , ect. or even a convertable

Yes, I guess it could be intermitant wipers, but I wanted to be sure before I got it back together. It's a real bummer to get back in. The harness is from year one. Maybe I'll give them a call.

brown wire

I am installing a new dash wiring harness. Everything plugs in fine, but I have an extra brown w/tr wire on the new harness near the wiper switch that is unused. I have looked at the wiring diagram and can not figure out where this lone wire goes. All my plugs in the dash are filled. Please help me.:violent-smiley-100:

Dan
It very possible it is for the neutral saftey switch [auto trans] or backup light switch for a 4 speed.W/washers?

Jeff

I have a complete wiring diagram for '68 Satellite product line and the only brown wire in the area of the wipers is one that goes from the washer button on one side to the wiper switch, and the other side, through the bulkhead connector to the washer motor. But, it is brown and NO trace.

Another Jeff

According to my diagram, the tach wires are green and dark blue...

Jeff

Per my '68 manual- the BR/trace is used for variable speed wipers. Not needed for regular 2-spd. wipers. Man, these old wiring diagrams are a real pain to read at times. Hope this helps.

That's it...

Oldbee,

You got it.. I failed to see the note on my drawings that the BR/T was only used for the intermittent wipers only..

So Dan, throw some shrink on the exposed connector on that wire and it looks like you're done with that step.

Jeff

Auto Transport Service
Back