• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Hurst Road Runner shifter

Some buddy smarter than me might make sense of the shifters numbers. To me they look aftermarket. But those words might bite my private parts. Hurst was in the game and there is not adjustable stops. Last suggestion is that it may not be Mopar. Hurst ruled the pack no matter what car in the day.

So the car was 10 years old when wrecked?

By 1980 my Bee had already been through two Hursts and I had a Mr Gasket in it.
Here's an x-ray. Driver side quarter had too much bondo for me so I'm skinning it. But I think it looks in really good shape for it's age

tempImageXRxTDh.png

On the shifters reverse lever is there 1-a number? 2-what size hole? 3-Is there a bushing in that hole?

yea, 34,000 on the odometer
On the shifters reverse lever is there 1-a number? 2-what size hole? 3-Is there a bushing in that hole?
Very small stamping on the reverse lever 7180, the holes for 1-2 lever is 0.39 and 3-4 is 0.3885 inches, no bushings present but I don't think they had any bushings originally. the reverse lever hole is smaller at 0.327 inches.

Very small stamping on the reverse lever 7180, the holes for 1-2 lever is 0.39 and 3-4 is 0.3885 inches, no bushings present but I don't think they had any bushings originally. the reverse lever hole is smaller at 0.327 inches.
So you have a shift box from either a 70-74 E-Body or 71-74 -Body.

SHIFTER MECHANISM IDENTIFICATION

All factory (original equipment) Mopar/Hurst 4-speed shifter mechanisms can be identified by the four digit number on the reverse lever, which is the longest of the three. 1968-75 A-body and 1968-69 B-body uses #6353 (as does the later truck overdrive), 1970 B-body #7174, and 1970-74 E-body/1971-74 B-body #7180 (which happens to be stamped upside down). All of these have 5/16" holes for the reverse linkage rod attachment. A common Hurst aftermarket/replacement shifter mechanism (for most A & B applications) has #6370 on the reverse lever, and utilizes a 1/2" hole and a reducer bushing.

So you have a shift box from either a 70-74 E-Body or 71-74 -Body.

SHIFTER MECHANISM IDENTIFICATION

All factory (original equipment) Mopar/Hurst 4-speed shifter mechanisms can be identified by the four digit number on the reverse lever, which is the longest of the three. 1968-75 A-body and 1968-69 B-body uses #6353 (as does the later truck overdrive), 1970 B-body #7174, and 1970-74 E-body/1971-74 B-body #7180 (which happens to be stamped upside down). All of these have 5/16" holes for the reverse linkage rod attachment. A common Hurst aftermarket/replacement shifter mechanism (for most A & B applications) has #6370 on the reverse lever, and utilizes a 1/2" hole and a reducer bushing.
Excellent info! Thank you. I'm unravelling the history of the previous owner who I did not know and unfortunately passed away last year. I kind of hit a parts jackpot with this car and I think some of the stuff came from a wrecked 71 Satellite. There were actually 3 shifters in a box inside the car, a Hurst Supershifter, Competition Plus with a pistol grip and this one which is now identified. I also got the car's original A833 matching the vin and an extra 18 spline A833. The original 383 matching and a 440 which I believe has the 69 casting numbers on it. Also a Mopar Dana 60 with a 4.10 was in the car and an 8 &3/4 3.23 rear end was in the storage facility. What I didn't get was a 70 AAR in vitamin C which was sitting next to the Road Runner for some 40 years but a lucky friend that found these cars has that now. The previous owner was definitely a Mopar hot rod enthusiast.

There were actually 3 shifters in a box inside the car, a Hurst Supershifter, Competition Plus with a pistol grip and this one which is now identified.
Yet in post #3 you were a definite YES that it was original to the car. Why I asked what the SPD was for the car, I wouldn't doubt that it came with an Inland...

Yet in post #3 you were a definite YES that it was original to the car. Why I asked what the SPD was for the car, I wouldn't doubt that it came with an Inland...
probably did. What does SPD stand for?

So I just degreased the Competition Plus a bit and the reverse lever has 6353 on it. I thought I had read in the Passon A833 rebuild manual that the Hurst shifter housing for that year only had the "Hurst" script on it. Since there was an extra pivot bushing in the box I'm thinking that somebody took these apart and mixed the parts up on reassembly. PS I am watching the Daytona race -multitasking at my best. Oh well either way I'm planning on driving this car before 2023 ends. Thanks guys for helping me out, greatly appreciated.

tempImageMeGxtZ.png

Scheduled Production Date
not sure on the date. Car is missing the fender tag. I did positively identify the paint though. Hawaiian Blue which was called a "spring color" offer for that year on the Road Runner. Only on Plymouth, not available on Dodge or Chrysler So I'm assuming this car was made later in 68

Last edited:
Pnora I'm finding out that it's gonna be hard to find that 5/16 rod adjusting button. Darn the luck

Ask Brewers.
I did, they only have 3/8. No big deal really, I'll just fab one from a 3/8. No way am I drilling the shift levers. Waiting for Shifterdoc to answer an email as last easy fix. Summit says unavailable and 20 minutes on hold with Hurst was way too much time wasted. Thanks again

Auto Transport Service
Back